Some questions on installing SharePoint 2010 Beta. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm installing SharePoint 2010 Beta in a virtual environment (vmware 7) on windows 2008 r2 with SQL Server 2008 R2 CTP November Edition (everything on 1 virtual machine: domain controller, sql server, sharepoint). However I already have some questions:

1. just want to get a confirmation on this: when making the server (windows server 2008 r2) a domain controller the local users are deleted (which means every user that must be created will be a domain user)?
    2. I created 3 service accounts: SQL_ service (SQL Service account), SP_Admin (SharePoint setup) and SP_Farm (Central Administration)
         a. I suppose these are the recommended service accounts needed for a SharePoint install/configuration (refering to the document http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662513(office.14).aspx)?
         b. As already mentioned in point 1, these are all domain users?
         c. The SQL_Service account is the the account to be used during installation of SQL Server 2008 Server Configuration -> "Use the same account for als SQL Server services"?
         d. The SP_Admin account is the one that should be added as SQL Server Administrator (and administrator for Analysis Services)? Is it recommended to add another (eg domain Adminstrator) as SQL Server adminstrators?
    3. Do i need to install SharePoint itself logged in as the domain Administrator or logged in as SP_Admin user?
    4. I suppose I must ignore the warning I get when installing SQL Server, on my virtual machine, that says that it is not recommended to install SQL Server on a domain controller? Or is it better to create separate virtual machines (1 for database server, 1 application server - SharePoint, 1 domain controller)? In this case what are the recommended memory requirements (RAM) for these different VM's?

Many thanks in advance for your answers.

Regards,
    Guy
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 9:57 AM

All replies

• Running dcpromo.exe will remove the ability to manage Local Users and Groups through Server Manager | Configuration; however, groups such Administrators can be found under the BuiltIn OU in ADUC.

You will want to use domain users (service accounts) when installing and configuring Microsoft SharePoint Server or Foundation 2010, two (2) to three (3) accounts are typical for most installations unless you'd prefer a LPA installation.  To ensure proper security trimming of search results I'd recommend a seperate account to be used for that service. 

The SQL Server service account will be used to run SQL Server services, in most cases you can select the option to use the same account for all services. 

The SharePoint Service account should be used when running PSConfig.exe and will be permissioned as needed from a SQL Server perspective.  I generally run the installation and configuration as a domain user as opposed to logging into the machine interactively and running installation and setup under the SharePoint service account.

If you have the resources available you can distribute the roles across virtual machines or optionally ignore the warning and perform a single machine installation on the domain controller for evaluation purposes.

Hope this helps.

Bill Baer, Technical Product Manager - US-SharePoint
    http://blogs.technet.com/wbaer
    Bill Baer
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Sunday, November 22, 2009 7:39 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Guy Dillen Tuesday, November 24, 2009 7:16 PM
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 1:07 AM
  • Many thanks for the answers.

To be sure, just one more check: with the SharePoint Servce account you mean the SP_Admin account (SharePoint Setup)?
    What do you mean by a LPA installation?

Thanks.

Guy
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:39 AM