Can you access more information on client computers using WSUS? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been given a task do do a research on, if it would be possible to access more data about computers, users ect., who are using our WSUS. Is it even possible using Agent, WMI, report function?
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 7:37 AM

Answers

• well powershell just uses existing wmi classes for things like hostname, OS version, and other info about the hardware by probing the BIOS through IMPI or whatever. so you would just need to leverage WMI using either powershell or VB scripts.  but if you want to combine other info with the WSUS reports/console...you would have to be pretty good with development skills.

wsus does have public APIs available but I don't know if it would be of any help to you

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Tuesday, September 8, 2015 8:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Tuesday, September 8, 2015 1:58 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 7:07 PM

All replies

• a web search for: wsus+reports

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708428(v=ws.10).aspx

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/505351-wsus-reporting-whats-the-best-tool

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 9:09 AM
  • Well most of the things you can get using report, are the same things you can get using PowerShell Cmdlets. I was wondering if I can get more data unrelated to updates using WSUS API, Agent or WMI.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 9:40 AM
  • well powershell just uses existing wmi classes for things like hostname, OS version, and other info about the hardware by probing the BIOS through IMPI or whatever. so you would just need to leverage WMI using either powershell or VB scripts.  but if you want to combine other info with the WSUS reports/console...you would have to be pretty good with development skills.

wsus does have public APIs available but I don't know if it would be of any help to you

• Proposed as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Tuesday, September 8, 2015 8:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Lee0510 Tuesday, September 8, 2015 1:58 PM
    Wednesday, August 12, 2015 7:07 PM