Accessories in Start Menu not showing RRS feed

• Question

• Our environment is a locked down 2003 domain and we have recently started to deploy Windows 7 PCs in a pilot scheme.

The Windows 7 computers have a new OU which a GPO is applied which sets the required Computer Policies. It also has a loopback policy of User settings to modify any User Configuration settings that are applied to all our users in the User OU.

Our standard users do not have the Accessories Menu in the Start Menu so features such as NotePad, WordPad and Paint are not available. They do appear as an administrative user and unlinking our Common User policy enables the Accessories Menu. However it is not clear which setting in the User Configuration settings is appropriate to re-enable the Accessories menu

Any suggestions appreicated

Monday, June 21, 2010 8:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

To troubleshoot the issue, I suggest you temporarily disable Loopback policy on the problematic OU to check the result.

If the issue persists, please collect the following information for research.

1. On the DC, open GPMC, right-click Group Policy Results, choose Group Policy Results Wizard, follow the wizard to collect a Group Policy result for problematic Windows 7 client.

2. On the Windows 7 machine where GPO failed to apply, please perform the following steps to collect log files:

a) Please add the specified registry key to enable group policy log (%windir%\debug\usermode\gpsvc.log), and remove or rename it to disable group policy log after collecting data. You may need to create the Diagnostics key if it is not there.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics

Type: DWORD

Value: GPSvcDebugLevel

Data: 0x30002 (hexadecimal)

b) Then on the problematic Win7 machine, run command “gpupdate /force”.

c) Then on the problematic Win7 machine, run command “gpresult /v > gpr_win7.txt”, send me gpr_win7.txt file.

d) On the problematic Win7 machine, run command “eventvwr”, then expand to Applications and service logs -> Microsoft -> windows -> groupPolicy -> Operational. Right-click on it and click “save event as”. Save the file as .evtx format and send it to me.

e) After that, please send me the above output files. (please zip them first and then send them to me).

- %windir%\debug\usermode\gpsvc.log

- gpr_win7.txt

- win7.evtx

Please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the GPMC result and the zip files, and then give us the download address.

Regards,

Novak

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, June 28, 2010 2:03 AM
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, I found that Accessories cannot be disabled by Start Menu and Taskbar in GPO. It can be disabled by logon scripts. I suggest you temporarily disable logon scripts to check the result.

Thanks,

Novak

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 1:27 AM
  • Hello

Thanks for the response. I am afraid we dont use logon scripts.

I have looked in my Roaming Profile on the Server and that does show the Accessories folder in the Start Menu directory. I am just not sure why it is not shown unless a GPO is unlinked

LeeB

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 9:29 AM
  • Hi,

To troubleshoot the issue, I suggest you temporarily disable Loopback policy on the problematic OU to check the result.

If the issue persists, please collect the following information for research.

1. On the DC, open GPMC, right-click Group Policy Results, choose Group Policy Results Wizard, follow the wizard to collect a Group Policy result for problematic Windows 7 client.

2. On the Windows 7 machine where GPO failed to apply, please perform the following steps to collect log files:

a) Please add the specified registry key to enable group policy log (%windir%\debug\usermode\gpsvc.log), and remove or rename it to disable group policy log after collecting data. You may need to create the Diagnostics key if it is not there.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics

Type: DWORD

Value: GPSvcDebugLevel

Data: 0x30002 (hexadecimal)

b) Then on the problematic Win7 machine, run command “gpupdate /force”.

c) Then on the problematic Win7 machine, run command “gpresult /v > gpr_win7.txt”, send me gpr_win7.txt file.

d) On the problematic Win7 machine, run command “eventvwr”, then expand to Applications and service logs -> Microsoft -> windows -> groupPolicy -> Operational. Right-click on it and click “save event as”. Save the file as .evtx format and send it to me.

e) After that, please send me the above output files. (please zip them first and then send them to me).

- %windir%\debug\usermode\gpsvc.log

- gpr_win7.txt

- win7.evtx

Please use Windows Live SkyDrive (http://www.skydrive.live.com/) to upload the GPMC result and the zip files, and then give us the download address.

Regards,

Novak

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, June 28, 2010 2:03 AM
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 1:08 AM
  • I am not sure if this is still an issue for you or not, but in our enviroment I found it to be the following policy. We do not use folder redirection, but this policy was on(probably from old legacy settings we used).

User Configuration-->Policies-->Administrative Templates-->Start Menu and Taskbar-->Remove user's folders from the Start Menu

That setting was set to enable and as soon as I set it to disable or not configured our users start menu now had the 'Accessories', 'Maintenance', 'Startup', and other icons at the root of the start menu that were missing such as IE.

If you are still having this issue, give the above a check and see if it resolves it for you as well. Hope it helps.

Tim Delier

• Proposed as answer by wilmackie Tuesday, September 13, 2011 2:01 PM
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 7:02 PM