none
Exporting Project 2010 to Excel - No .xls option RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have Project 2010 Standard and am trying to figure out how to export to Excel, and nothing I've seen on the forums seems to address my problem. Everything starts by saying "go to Save As... and choose .xls, and it will bring up the export wizard."

However, when I choose Save As, the only save types available to me in the dropdown menu are:

.mpp, .mpt, and .pdf.

The .mpp and .mpt options have different variations for 2010, 2007, and 2000-2003, but nowhere is there an .xls, or any other kind of save option.

Is there something I should be doing first to make this option available? Is there any other way for me to export into Excel? It's very important for what I'm doing to be able to export into Excel so I can make readable spreadsheets for my managers.

Thanks so much.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:08 PM

All replies

• Greater,

In the Save As window you should see a whole list of formats in the "Save as type" selection box. Three of them relate to Excel:

Excel Workbook (Project 2010 saves as xlsx)

Excel Binary Workbook

Excel 97-2003 Workbook (the old xls format)

If you don't see those formats, then it's possible you didn't do a normal full install of Project (i.e. some elements weren't installed) or you don't have Office installed on your computer (very unlikely). You should also make sure you have SP1 for Project installed. To download it, go to, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587.

Hope this helps.

John

• Proposed as answer by Andrew Simpson Thursday, November 1, 2012 4:25 PM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 1:53 AM
  • Unfortunately, as I noted above, the only formats available to me are .mpp, .mpt, and .pdf. Nothing relating to Excel or any other file type. I downloaded SP1 for Project 2010 and updated Project with it, but I still do not get the other file type options I should be getting.

You suggest maybe I don't have a normal full install of Project. Is there any way to check or verify that? Everything else I've done with this version so far has worked just fine, haven't noticed any elements missing, or anything like that.

Not that this would affect things, but other than Project 2010, I've got Office 2007 (Word, Excel, Visio, Powerpoint, Outlook), and my PC is running Windows XP. It's just bizarre that it doesn't even give me the option of other file types, since everything else I've been able to find hasn't addressed this as a potential issue. All advice about exporting starts with it as a given that you will be able to select .xls as a file type.

I tried typing it into the file name myself, as in Projectname.xls, but when it saved it just added .mpp at the end anyway and kept it as a Project file (I didn't think it would work, but worth a shot).

Anyway, any other suggestions you or anyone else might have I'd be happy to try. Thanks for the help!

Thursday, November 1, 2012 5:21 PM
  • GreaterAjax,

It's been quite a while since I installed anything but use the following process to change your installation. The process for Windows XP is as follows: Start/Settings/Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs. Select Microsoft Project and hit the Change button. From there you have a few options but the most appropriate is Add or Remove features.

Something else that may affect whether you have all the save options is whether you have a trial version of Project. I've never used the trial version but I believe some features, particularly save options, are only available with a full version.

John

Thursday, November 1, 2012 8:51 PM
  • I figured it out, and feel somewhat embarrassed, haha. Project 2010 not only has Save As... under File, but it has Save & Send. Under Save & Send it has email options as well as Save Project as File. Under that option it has Excel Workbook as one of the choices. If I click on that it opens the Export Wizard and I can go from there.

However. Now that I'm at this stage, no matter what I do, use a ready-made map, Project Excel Template, or create my own, I continuously get the A266FF2A662E84b639DA worksheet I've seen referenced in numerous places. Can you tell me if this has been figured out? I've seen multiple threads referring to it, but haven't found a solution. I'm on XP, with Project 2010 exporting to Excel 2007.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:22 AM
  • Greater,

Okay so maybe Project Standard is a little different than Project Pro with respect to the file format options under Save As. I only have the Pro version so I can't directly validate a difference and I could find no reference to such a difference on Microsoft's website. Nonetheless, you at least got past that point.

. . . . Only to crash directly into the "A266...." issue. Boy, you're just not on the right side of something. I tried to compile as much information about the "A266..." issue in this thread. If you haven't already seen it, take a look, it gives a few things to try.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/projectprofessional2010general/thread/2f4f6838-4e76-42eb-8166-c7fea80f3a54

One other possibility that I don't think was mentioned is user profile corruption. Perhaps that could be a clue. Take a look at the following: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile.

Let us know if any of the above helps. I'd really love to report a solution for the "A266..." issue.

John

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:20 AM