none
Wallpaper vs Lock Screen. Changed but can't change back

Question

• Howdy,

This is Windows 8.1

We have a GPO configured under:User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Desktop/Desktop
    We have Desktop Wallpaper configured to point to a specific file on the computer's C drive.

We also have: Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Control Panel/Personalization
    and have Path to Lock Screen set with a path to a file on the user's C drive.

Both of these point to the exact same file on the C drive as we want them both to be the same.

We pushed out a new file yesterday and it DID take effect on people's machines with an hour or tow when GPO refreshed. However, we then had to put the previous file back where it was. We pushed the previous file out and it started refreshing through but we have many people where it changed their Desktop image but DID NOT change their Lock Screen image.  I can't figure out why this is.

We did not modify any of the GPOs, we just replaced one image with another image and then replaced it back to the original one.

I checked the path where the file is supposed to be and it is the correct file, but the lock screen is just not updating.

Anyone have any ideas why this would be?

We tried running gpupdate /force and then rebooting and it didn't help.

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 5:36 PM

Answers

• I ended up just taking the file and resizing it by 1 pixel so it would see it as a new file and push it again and then it went through and updated for everyone.

No idea why it wasn't working the first time around.

• Marked as answer by Kelemvor33 Friday, April 17, 2015 1:13 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2015 1:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>We pushed the previous file out and it started refreshing through but we have many people where it changed their Desktop image but DID NOT change their Lock Screen image

For the lock screen setting is computer part setting, here, does this happen to all the computers which apply the GPO setting?  Besides, We can run command gpresult/h report.html with admin privileges to collect group policy result report to double check how the policy setting is being applied. Moreover, if the issue persists, to check if this is related to the image, we can try another image to see if it works.

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 17, 2015 9:18 AM
  • I ended up just taking the file and resizing it by 1 pixel so it would see it as a new file and push it again and then it went through and updated for everyone.

No idea why it wasn't working the first time around.

• Marked as answer by Kelemvor33 Friday, April 17, 2015 1:13 PM
    Friday, April 17, 2015 1:13 PM