none
How to remove deleted SCVMM Cluster Resource VMs from the DPM Recovery Destinations list? RRS feed

• Question

• We have recently built a new Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V Cluster and are using DPM 2012 SP1 to protect the VMs. I noticed that even after deleting VMs from the Cluster and DPM, they are still showing as a Recovery Destination in DPM when I go to recover a server. This is a problem as these are not valid recovery destinations.  

I noticed these servers are listed in the DPM SQL DB table tbl_AM_Server.

I tried to run the Remove-ProductionServer.ps1 but this gives errors and does not work.

They should have been automatically cleaned out by DPM (I would think) but this has not happened.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have looked high and low for a solution.

Cole

Friday, July 12, 2013 3:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It sounds like you installed DPM agents inside the VM's and were protecting data inside the VM. Under that condition, they appear as real servers and are a valid destination for recoveries.  You should have removed the dpm agent from the guest before deleting it from the cluster.  Do they shows under agents in the dpm console ? 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 12, 2013 8:20 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

We did not install the DPM agents on the VMs. The Agent was only installed on the Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V Cluster hosts.

No, they do not show under the Agents and never did show there. Only the Hyper-V hosts show there.

When I selected the VMs to back them up I had to select the VMs under the Cluster individually though.

Thanks

Cole

Friday, July 12, 2013 9:53 PM
  • Hi,

OK - Maybe I'm not understanding what you are seeing under the recovery tab when you say you can choose a VM for a Recovery Destination.   Can you clarify what exactly you mean by that. What steps are you doing that you see the VM machine names.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 12, 2013 10:37 PM
  • Here are the steps.

1) Open the Recovery Tab

2) Expand 'Recoverable Data -> HVHOST1 -> All Protected HyperV Data -> Backup with Child Partition Snapshot\VM1

3) Right mouse click the VHD under the 'Recoverable Item' column and select 'Recover'

4) Choose, Select 'Copy to Network Folder'

5) Now click 'Browse' the destination

It is in here where you browse the destination where you have all things DPM is connected to (DPM1, ClusterGroup, HVHOST1,HVHOST2, etc. then there are the SCVMM VMXX Resource VMs listed. Many of which have long been deleted. I'm showing like 30 items that no longer exist here and it is very messy.

All the orphaned / Non-existing Clustered VMs were properly deleted using the Cluster Manager or SCVMM. Also, all DPM backup points and protection groups where even deleted.

Hope that helps.

Friday, July 12, 2013 10:46 PM
  • Hi,

OK - Never heard of "SCVMM VMXX Resource" as being a recovery destination before.  I'll see if I can find someone else to help you on this.

Friday, July 12, 2013 10:59 PM
  • Hello,

Maybe just clear the cache of DPM that store cluster objects, you can do it in create or modify protection group wizard, go to the 3th step ("Select Group Member"), then click "Clear Cache" and Yes to quit wizard.

Regards
    Julien

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:07 PM
  • We have recently built a new Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V Cluster and are using DPM 2012 SP1 to protect the VMs. I noticed that even after deleting VMs from the Cluster and DPM, they are still showing as a Recovery Destination in DPM when I go to recover a server. This is a problem as these are not valid recovery destinations.  

I noticed these servers are listed in the DPM SQL DB table tbl_AM_Server.

I tried to run the Remove-ProductionServer.ps1 but this gives errors and does not work.

They should have been automatically cleaned out by DPM (I would think) but this has not happened.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have looked high and low for a solution.

Cole

Same here only the backup targets are not in a Hyper-V cluster but included in a test replication setup.

We discovered it while testing changing the DPM server that backs up the VMs of one of our test Hyper-V hosts from a primary directly from its secondary.

Uninstalled the agent of the host from the primary DPM, installed it again from the secondary, agent appears only in the Console of the secondary but when trying to create a protection group to include the VMs of the host the secondary picks up the VMs as being protected by the primary and of course fails the backup as it can't source them.

Clearing the cache makes no difference, the VMs to the secondary appear to be protected by the primary even though the agent and replicas have been removed.

Hope the above makes sense. Haven't found a solution to the issue yet.

Have you tried removing the entries from the table, I am pondering doing that and see what happens as it is only a lab test scenario.

• Edited by Evan_ISS Wednesday, October 2, 2013 7:54 AM
    Wednesday, October 2, 2013 7:52 AM
  • The problem is still here, even in DPM 2016 (1807). What i did:

1. Refreshed the cache with "Refresh" button under the list of group members;
    Interesting thing - there are no old (deleted) vm's entries in list of "Select group members" on protection group tab. But! If i'll try to recover a vm and  then select "Copy to a network folder", on "Specify Alterntate Recovery Destination" tab the deleted vm's are still persist;

2. Created "InquiryResultsTimeoutInterval" DWORD in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\CacheInquiryResults" with value 1 (1 hour);

3. Also in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration\CacheInquiryResults" resides entries of all clustered vm's, even old (deleted).

I deleted this entries, but they are still persist on "Specify Alterntate Recovery Destination" tab", when i try to recover vm, even after server reboot.

Please help fix this bug, tnx in advance.

Monday, October 15, 2018 10:45 AM
  • Hi Pavel,

This is an old thread and I suggest you create a new one, although this issue was never fixed you can still submit feedback or report this as a bug over here:

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/914488-system-center-data-protection-manager

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, October 15, 2018 12:23 PM