WSUS 10.0.14393.447 on Secondary compatible with WSUS 3.0 on primary ? RRS feed

• Question

• Currently my SCCM on 2012 R2 SP1 ( CU1)..We are upgrading all existing secondary site server OS to 2016 first , as the part CB upgrade plan . Here my query is , once my secondary ready wth WSUS 10.0.14393.447 on 2016 server will this compatible ( or work ) with primary WSUS 3.0 SP2 ( 3.2.7600.226 ) ?

Current my CAS and Primary on WSUS 3.0 SP2 , once i rebuild secondary with 2016 OS with WSUS 10.0 does this communicate with my primary WSUS 3.0 ?  

nash525

• Edited by nash525 Saturday, April 6, 2019 9:03 PM
    Saturday, April 6, 2019 8:53 PM

Answers

• Hi Nash,

Thank you for posting here.
    As far as I know, you can use WSUS 10.0 as a downstream server for WSUS 3.2.

For WSUS server, there's no limit that upstream server must have a higher version than the downstream server, but it is recommended to make upstream WSUS server higher version, especially your environment has win10 clients.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 8, 2019 2:40 AM
  • Hi Nash,

WSUS 3.2 cannot be able to fully support Windows 10 (and Windows Server 2016 or later) servicing (specifically feature updates). Technically, it can provide minimal Windows 10 update support (ie, sync And distribute security updates). For reference: "Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP2 Support".

Therefore, it is best to upgrade to the latest WSUS 10.0 to get the latest updates and support for Windows 10  (and Windows Server 2016 or later).

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by nash525 Saturday, May 11, 2019 7:37 AM
    Friday, April 12, 2019 3:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Nash,

Thank you for posting here.
    As far as I know, you can use WSUS 10.0 as a downstream server for WSUS 3.2.

For WSUS server, there's no limit that upstream server must have a higher version than the downstream server, but it is recommended to make upstream WSUS server higher version, especially your environment has win10 clients.

Regards,
    Yic

Monday, April 8, 2019 2:40 AM
  •  Thanks for your response.

If we use WSUS 3.0 SP2 on windows 2016 Server on secondary site new server, does  this wsus 3.0 SP2 version compatible with this 2016 operating system ?

naresh

Thursday, April 11, 2019 1:41 PM
  • Hi Nash,

WSUS 3.2 cannot be able to fully support Windows 10 (and Windows Server 2016 or later) servicing (specifically feature updates). Technically, it can provide minimal Windows 10 update support (ie, sync And distribute security updates). For reference: "Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP2 Support".

Therefore, it is best to upgrade to the latest WSUS 10.0 to get the latest updates and support for Windows 10  (and Windows Server 2016 or later).

Regards,
    Yic

• Marked as answer by nash525 Saturday, May 11, 2019 7:37 AM
    Friday, April 12, 2019 3:20 AM
  • Hi,

Any update is welcome here.
    If the issue is resolved, share your solution or find the helpful response "Mark as Answer" to help other community members find the answer.

Thank you for your cooperation, as always.

Regards,
    Yic

Monday, April 15, 2019 8:04 AM