App-V 5.2 - shortcut shows when publishing w/ PowerShell NOT when publishing w/ SCCM CB RRS feed

• Question

• I have an App-V package that I sequenced on Win10 Edu 1709 32-bit. When I Add and Publish it (with -Global) using PowerShell, the shortcut appears in the menu. When I use SCCM CB to Publish it, globally, the shortcut is not there.

Everything looks fine in the AppEnforce.log; SCCM is using Add-AppVClientPackage -Path ### -DynamicDeploymentConfiguration ### and Publish-AppVclientPackage -Global. This is the first time I've seen this behaviour.

I sequenced this application from scratch a second time with the same results. The only unusual thing about this package is that I'm using a compiled AutoIT script (.exe) as a launcher, but that shouldn't make any difference.

Any Ideas?

• Edited by Fiddlinmacx Monday, May 14, 2018 4:46 PM Clarify and make easier to read
    Monday, May 14, 2018 3:20 PM

All replies

• not sure if this is same issue:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sgern/2018/04/12/april-2018-rollup-for-windows-10-und-server-2016-last-app-v-scripts-nicht-mehr-starten/ 

try to update your windows with latest May security update.

Monday, May 14, 2018 4:16 PM
  • I don't think it's related. This isn't a scripting issue and I've sequenced dozens of App-Vs with this same setup with no such issue. It's just this one App-V. Besides, I'm in a corporate environment and can't just upgrade my test machines.
    Monday, May 14, 2018 4:48 PM
  • hmm not sure, anything popup from the event viewer servicing log?
    Monday, May 14, 2018 5:05 PM
  • config manager always uses the deployment and user config files... while testing manually with powershell, did you also use these configs? If not… try again, and check the deployment config.xml (because you publish global)

Roy Essers

Monday, May 14, 2018 5:17 PM
  • config manager always uses the deployment and user config files... while testing manually with powershell, did you also use these configs? If not… try again, and check the deployment config.xml (because you publish global)

Roy Essers

Yes. I use the DeploymentConfig xml just like SCCM does, and it looks fine. AppV Manage does the same (at least if you tell it to).
    Monday, May 14, 2018 5:27 PM
  • Where is de shortcut located?

config manager publishes under SYSTEM account, while you prob. use an admin account to publish it globally through powershell... so that's the only difference I can think of atm. 
    Start an interactive session with psexec.exe and try to publish again… is this the same outcome as with config manager?

Roy Essers

Monday, May 14, 2018 7:05 PM
  • Yeah. I thought of that difference too. But why this package? All my other App-Vs work as expected. I thought it was a glitch at first, but I re-sequenced it from scratch and got the same result.

Even stranger. I opened up a powershell prompt as System using psexec, like you suggested. It works fine. I ran Add-AppVClientPackage with -DynamicDeploymentConfiguration and Publish-AppVClientPackage with -Global and the shortcut is in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs as it should be and everything works fine. I'm very confused now.

I'll have a closer look at the event logs.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 12:45 PM
  • I notice one difference between my normal PowerShell commands and what SCCM does. It inserts Set-AppVClientPackage -DynamicDeploymentConfiguration with a path of c:\Windows\CCM\SystemTemp\AppVTempData\<UUID>_DeployConfig.xml. I'm not sure why it does that. I'll try doing that manually and see if it breaks the shortcut. I don't know why it would.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 1:49 PM