Using two distribution points for different purposes in SCCM 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• We're migrating from SCCM 2007.  In our current environment were doing Application distribution, PXE boot and OS Deployment 

Our 2012 environment consists of a primary site server (S1) with a 700gb E: drive configured as a distribution point, 700gb.  We also have another Site Server (S2) with a 500gb E: drive, also configured as a distribution point.  .  Before you ask, I'll explain the reason for this.  We're in a virtual environment and we have LUN limits that will not permit us to add enough disk space to accommodate it all on one larger disk. 

At this point no migration process has been run yet.  As part of the migration process I want to segregate the OS images, drivers, PXE Boot and OS Deployment components from the applications and packages that we use in our environment, putting the prior on the E: drive on S1 and the latter on the E: drive on S2:.  I want to maintain that segregation going forward.  Is this feasible?  If so, can you recommend a way to do this or point me to concise documents that will provide that information?

Thanks in advance for you patience and response.

Dino

Thanks, Dino

Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:15 PM

Answers

• They all should be selectable in the object migration wizard.  IMO, don't worry about the boot images.  You will be recreating those with the newer version of WinPE.
    • Marked as answer by ingram59 Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:47 PM
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:25 PM

All replies

• No it is not feasible. Just let CM use the disk space as it sees fit.

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/author/johnmarcum/

Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:34 PM
  • Well crud.... Ok.  So with S1 and S2 both functioning as distribution points CM will use the space as the determining factor as to which E: drive the applications or OS images are placed on, is that correct?

Thanks, Dino

Thursday, July 25, 2013 6:42 PM
  • Separate migration question.  Our current 2007 server is serving other purpose as well as that of a Distribution point.  I want to migrate all 2007 stuff off of it when we cut over to 2012.  I see how advertisements, collectiions and the associated applications come across using the Migration tool.  What I don't see or seem to understand is how I migrate / move the boot images, drivers, OS Images, driver packages, OS Installation packages, etc... from the old to new environment. 

Thanks, Dino

Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:03 PM
  • They all should be selectable in the object migration wizard.  IMO, don't worry about the boot images.  You will be recreating those with the newer version of WinPE.
    • Marked as answer by ingram59 Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:47 PM
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:25 PM
  • Yes that is correct.

John Marcum | http://myitforum.com/myitforumwp/author/johnmarcum/

Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Thanks.  After you mentioned it, I explored the object migration drop down and saw the components.  I appreciate the assistance.

Thanks, Dino

Thursday, July 25, 2013 7:49 PM