none
Project Server 2007 and Custom Fields and Lookup Tables RRS feed

• Question

• In the Custom Fields and Lookup Tables there is a default field and lookup table I would like to use but do not know how to get it to display.  The default custom field is State and the associated lookup table is also called State.  I am the project server administrator and I have full control rights.  I'd like to use these in the Project Center to show projects are proposed, approved, or rejected.  How do I do this?

Thanks for your help,

David

Wednesday, August 4, 2010 6:17 PM

Answers

• Hello David061975

Do not modify the State lookup table.  It is a special lookup table used for workflow.  If you modify, it will probably break some aspect of workflow with project server.  I would suggested creating a new field for managing state.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    • Marked as answer by David061975 Thursday, August 5, 2010 4:35 PM
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 2:40 PM
  • Hi David,

I haven't got a 2007 server in front of me at the moment, but from memory, you have to check in server settings that the state field is not governed by an external workflow.  Then, you should be able to change the state field if you are a member of the proposal reviewers group.  However, the state field is for Proposals only, so I do not think that it is available for Projects.  

I am in agreement with Michael, you are best advised to create a new field and associated lookup table and use that IF you are not using the proposals feature. 

Ben Howard [MVP] http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 4:15 PM

All replies

• Hi David, you need to add them into a Project Centre view (eg summary) as a column.  You can then sort, group or filter using the column.  Make sure the view you use is a Project view and not a Project Detail view.
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010 8:02 PM
  • Thank you, Ben.

I got the State column to appear in the Summary view of Project Center but no values appear.  How do I get the values to appear?

Thursday, August 5, 2010 1:26 PM
  • Hello David061975

Do not modify the State lookup table.  It is a special lookup table used for workflow.  If you modify, it will probably break some aspect of workflow with project server.  I would suggested creating a new field for managing state.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT

Sincerely, Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA www.WhartonComputer.com
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 2:40 PM
  • Hi Michael,

I did add a couple of values to the State lookup table but I did not delete the default values (Proposed, Accepted, and Rejected) as the instructions for editing this table call for.  The table does allow editing and so long as the default values aren't deleted, it should work properly.  If modifying the State lookup table in any way is a risk, then the edit feature should not exist.  The values I added to the lookup table are On Hold and Backlogged.  And, I did not reorder the default values.  They are in their original positions.

So, I believe I am within editing bounds when dealing with this lookup table.  I just don't know how to get the values to appear in the State field in the Project Center Summary view.

I think the State lookup table should appear in the Project Custom Fields section of the Edit Project Properties page that's accessed from the Project Center after selecting a project.  How do I do this?

Thanks for your help,

David

Thursday, August 5, 2010 3:31 PM
  • Hi David,

I haven't got a 2007 server in front of me at the moment, but from memory, you have to check in server settings that the state field is not governed by an external workflow.  Then, you should be able to change the state field if you are a member of the proposal reviewers group.  However, the state field is for Proposals only, so I do not think that it is available for Projects.  

I am in agreement with Michael, you are best advised to create a new field and associated lookup table and use that IF you are not using the proposals feature. 

Thursday, August 5, 2010 4:15 PM
  • You were both right!  I created a new field and lookup table and it worked right away.  It sure is a good feeling to know there are people like you both to get advice.

Thanks so much.  I do appreciate your help.

David

Thursday, August 5, 2010 4:35 PM
  • You are welcome
    Thursday, August 5, 2010 4:55 PM