Imaging taking a long time. RRS feed

• Question

• So I am still in the testing phase. So I am not doing mainstream imaging with a lot of computers. Just 2-3 at a time in my test environment. I am working on finalizing my settings and I am just trying to figure out how long it should take to image a machine? I have reasonably small images with only Office and a few other very small apps installed. I do most of my installs from the ts itself. I only install plugins, adobe, java, etc... from the ts though. It is taking almost 2 hours to image a machine from start to finish. I am using a ts that I made using mdt2012 that I have integrated. I have software updates disabled in the ts to save some time, but is there any other steps that I could disable that could be causing the issue? Since I work for a school, we usually have very tight deadlines on how long we can have machines. When I was using wds by itself I could have a computer done in close to 30 minutes.. I would like to get back to around that time if at all possible.

I have a good network connection 1gb back to the core switch here in my office. Multicast is disabled currently, but that shouldn't cause any issues with this amount of machines. It will  be enabled before we deploy main scale.

Monday, June 25, 2012 1:06 PM

All replies

• You can use the report called "Run time for each step of a task sequence deployment on a specific destination computer" to get an idea which steps are taking a lot of time.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Monday, June 25, 2012 1:22 PM
  • What make/model of machine is it?  Does it come with an Advanced Format/512E drive - if so, have you patched your WinPE boot image and OS? >> http://madluka.wordpress.com/2012/06/12/patch-your-configmgr-boot-image-for-advanced-format-512e-drives/

30-50 minutes is about average for a ConfigMgr OSD deployment I find, including a fully patched OS and some core apps like Office 2010, Java, Citrix, Flash etc.  Sub 30 minutes is barely achievable unless you have great hardware, great infrastructure and a lightweight Task Sequence.  One of the reasons ConfigMgr can take a 'little' longer than other solutions is that the ConfigMgr client seems to take AGES to initialise and continue the Task Sequence - this alone seems to add up to 10 minutes to a deployment - but you have to consider that ConfigMgr is an Enterprise class solution, generally that scales and handles very large numbers of machines very well... small numbers of machines, not so well, in terms of speed - IMHO.

Use the reports to see which steps are taking the longest to run in your Task Sequence - if it is the "Apply Operating System Image" step, then this may be the AF drive thing.  If it is Windows Setup, not much you can do there I'm afraid other than re-evaluate the hardware being used and the drivers.

Andy

Monday, June 25, 2012 5:57 PM