none
This windows hello pin prompt is ridiculous! RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to sign in to my computer tonight, but before I could enter my windows password, I got a blue screen that says my account requires a windows hello pin. I don't even know what that is, but the only option I had was to click on create pin. So I did that, and then the next screen was where you create the pin, by entering it and then confirming it-only nothing shows up when I type, even though the icon is flashing in the boxes, indicating it's ready for me to type. There's no way to bypass this that I see. 

So I can't log on without a windows hello pin, it won't let me skip that or bypass that or whatever, and I don't know how to disable that from my husbands account, as all the troubleshooting advice I've read online only tells you how to disable it from your account. But I can't get in to my account in the first place, this pin prompt has me blocked!!! 

I don't know what to do. I needed to get in to my account like an hour ago, instead I've been going around and around with this mess. Does anyone know what I can do?

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 4:50 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Try booting into Safe Mode:

1. Start your Windows 10 machine, and quickly shut it down before it reaches or if it is at boot screen. Do this two times repeatedly.

2. On the third time, Windows 10 will automatically display 'Your PC couldn't start properly' message. Now press Esc key for recovery options.

3. Then under Choose an option screen, click Troubleshoot option and now click Advanced options option.

4. Under Advanced options screen, click Startup Settings.

5. In Startup Settings screen, you need to click Restart.

6. After restart, press F4 or 4 to boot into Safe Mode.

This will allow you to login as built-in administrator, then you can manually setup login PIN, if you want. To setup PIN, go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options.

Let us know if this helps!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Tuesday, April 16, 2019 12:22 PM
  • Hi,

Could you see the sign-in option on the login screen? If so, you could click sign-in option then choose Password. Please type your password and see if the system can be entered.

Meanwhile, if you want to disable the prompt of windows hello pin, try the following:

1.Run gpedit.msc.

2.Select Local Computer Policy / Computing Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Hello for Business

3.Set the policy to Disabled, and click Apply

4.Reboot

Hope it could be helpful.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 18, 2019 6:03 AM
  • Hi, 
    Was your issue solved?
    If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help. 
    Best Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 29, 2019 12:37 PM