Config Manager Client Will Not Install On Any Windows 2003 Servers RRS feed

• Question

• I've run into an interesting situation.  The client agent installed perfectly to all our Windows 2008 servers but not any of our Windows 2003 servers.

The boundary group setup covers the IP subnet all our servers are in.

Even trying to force an install from the ConfigMgr console does nothing.  Creates no files on the client, etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thursday, September 13, 2012 6:49 PM

Answers

• We had a similar issue here - you must install a certificate fix and BITS 2.5 before SCCM2012 client correctly installs on windows server 2003

Certificate hotfix is: KB968730

Just google for BITS 2.5

Hope that helps.

Sam

Friday, September 14, 2012 2:20 PM

All replies

• How are you installing the client?

Client push? in that case check the ccm.log file on the sccm primary site server for errors, if you run ccmsetup manually does it work then??

Regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:17 PM
  • yeah, you should have a ccmsetup.log file there

also, on Server 2003 and some versions of XP the agent requires BITS 2.5 to be installed manually (in most cases this requires a reboot)

I think on server 2003 you need also the Windows imaging component in order for .NET 4 to install later on

Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:46 PM
  • I take it you are trying to install to Windows 2003 servers as clients and not as part of the SCCM infrastructure.

Is Service Pack 2 installed?

Friday, September 14, 2012 11:31 AM
  • Just by navigating to the folder on the SCCM Site server and running the install?

If I try and push from the console, I never even see the machine name I'm trying to push to in ccm.log

Updating for your questions:

I'll try BITS.  Yes as clients and yes SP2 is installed on the one I'm looking at.

One other thing I've noticed is that if I navigate to the share and try to install manually, I'm getting a permission denied trying to run ccmsetup.exe
    Friday, September 14, 2012 1:40 PM
  • We had a similar issue here - you must install a certificate fix and BITS 2.5 before SCCM2012 client correctly installs on windows server 2003

Certificate hotfix is: KB968730

Just google for BITS 2.5

Hope that helps.

Sam

Friday, September 14, 2012 2:20 PM
  • Thanks Samlw,

I've just installed bits and will install the Cert Hotfix and see what happens.

Friday, September 14, 2012 2:42 PM
  • Thanks for the fix!  Worked like a charm!!

Installed Bits then the Cert fix and ccmsetup became active and everything installed fine.

Muchos Gracias!!!

Friday, September 14, 2012 3:08 PM
  • No problemo - glad it worked.

Generally all the problems I have had with installing the client on workstations and servers has been to do with one or more of the following:

1. Boundaries/groups not defined correctly

2. Certificates (this is the main issue usually)

3. already installed antivirus (McAfee is the main offender - even if just the management agent is installed!)

4. Bits 2.5 not installed already (2003 and XP especially...).

Friday, September 14, 2012 4:07 PM