Inside or Outside the bubble - Which Application has the priority? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am new to sequensing and APP-V so please excuse the basic question. This is just a scenaio I was playing with and wanted to get more information on what will happen.

Scenario - Mozilla Firefox has been sequenced as a primary application. Adobe Reader has also been sequenced and, via DSC, has been linked as a secondary application. Adobe Reader is also installed outside the bubble in the traditional manner.

When using Mozilla and viewing a PDF I have noticed that the Adobe PDF reader outside the bubble is called. This is OK if the version inside and outside the bubble are the same. What if I needed a version of Adobe Reader that was older or newer than the version outside the bubble.

Is there are way to link two APP-V packages together and ensure that the primary application calls the secondary application without it going outside the bubble.

I would assume that the manner in which the secondary application is called would have an impact on the behaviour, for example loading the PDF within the brownser via the Adobe Plugin as aposed to opening it via the file system using sile type associations.

Any info. would be great,

Cheers,

Nathan

NSutton
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 11:24 AM

Answers

• Is there a difference if Reader outside the bubble is started or not before starting the virtualized application? As Znack says, it will depend on how the virtualized Reader is called - often if a instance is already running it will switch to that instance. Other methods, such as calling Class ID's will most likely call the installed version as well.

Rather than using DSC, try installing the older copy of Reader into the same package as the primary application, alternatively, if you can get the primary application to call Reader with the /n switch, that may work, but I suspect you'll run into the same issue.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Friday, November 4, 2011 9:11 AM
  • Hi Znack/Aaron,

In my case we have Adobe Reader installed on every PC in a traditional way. I was playing with an APP-V'd copy of Apple Safari. Safari was struggling to load PDF documents inline with browser windows. After removing Adobe Reader 10 and putting 9.X on Safari started to work.

In the end it turned out to Adobe Reader 10 protected mode again. Disabling it via the HKLM policies registry hive fixed the issue. The issue I had was not the typical C++ dialogbox, but rather, Safari presented a plain white tab. If you navigate away from the tab and then back you can see the Adobe Reader plugin progress bar attempting to load the PDF but that is as far as it would go.

My question came about when I was considering sequencing Adobe Reader 9.X to go with Safari via DSC. Given Adobe Reader 10.X was outside the bubble and 9.x was inside the bubble I wasn't sure which version would be called when viewing PDF's inline with the Browser pane.

If I had to do it, based on your responses, I would expect that I would need to sequence Adobe Reader 9.x with Safari.

Cheers,

Nathan

NSutton
    Monday, November 7, 2011 7:37 AM

All replies

• Hello,

It all depends on how they call and execute each other. If you investigate this - you can determine if virtualization will assist you
    /Znack
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 12:16 PM
  • Is there a difference if Reader outside the bubble is started or not before starting the virtualized application? As Znack says, it will depend on how the virtualized Reader is called - often if a instance is already running it will switch to that instance. Other methods, such as calling Class ID's will most likely call the installed version as well.

Rather than using DSC, try installing the older copy of Reader into the same package as the primary application, alternatively, if you can get the primary application to call Reader with the /n switch, that may work, but I suspect you'll run into the same issue.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Friday, November 4, 2011 9:11 AM
  • Hi Znack/Aaron,

In my case we have Adobe Reader installed on every PC in a traditional way. I was playing with an APP-V'd copy of Apple Safari. Safari was struggling to load PDF documents inline with browser windows. After removing Adobe Reader 10 and putting 9.X on Safari started to work.

In the end it turned out to Adobe Reader 10 protected mode again. Disabling it via the HKLM policies registry hive fixed the issue. The issue I had was not the typical C++ dialogbox, but rather, Safari presented a plain white tab. If you navigate away from the tab and then back you can see the Adobe Reader plugin progress bar attempting to load the PDF but that is as far as it would go.

My question came about when I was considering sequencing Adobe Reader 9.X to go with Safari via DSC. Given Adobe Reader 10.X was outside the bubble and 9.x was inside the bubble I wasn't sure which version would be called when viewing PDF's inline with the Browser pane.

If I had to do it, based on your responses, I would expect that I would need to sequence Adobe Reader 9.x with Safari.

Cheers,

Nathan

NSutton
    Monday, November 7, 2011 7:37 AM
  • Hello,

If the technical way the two applications reference each other works in a virtualized environment - making a single package or using two packages and connecting them with DSC makes  a very small difference in preferred deployment method.

Usually I recommend departments to choose the way that they can manage and feel comfortable with
    /Znack
    Monday, November 7, 2011 7:55 AM