Automate running Microsoft Fixit Uninstaller Tool On Multiple Systems? RRS feed

• Question

• We were migrating from an old version to a new version of an application and it's plug-in.

We deployed a script to uninstall the old versions and install the new versions and it worked about 60%of the time.

The other 40% are stuck in a state where the old software won't completely uninstall and the new software can't install over the old version.

The fix has been to run the Microsoft uninstaller Fixit tool https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

The tool has a very slow GUI wizard that requires several clicks to complete and has to be run twice because it can only remove one application at a time.  This is not workable for so many devices.

Since all these systems need the same applications force uninstalled, is there a way to automate this tool or the steps it takes via command line?

I have already tried using the applications msiexec /x uninstall commands and they won't work while the systems are in this state.

Thursday, February 2, 2017 5:48 PM

Answers

• Hi MyGposts,

As as _Ruud suggested, we could try to uninstall the application with the WMIC command line.

For microsoft fix it tool, it is mainly used to clean the remained registry keys after uninstalling the application which will block installing that application later. We could capture those registry keys for those applications then create a script to delete the registry keys directly.

Best regards,
    Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Friday, February 3, 2017 10:14 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Monday, February 6, 2017 10:21 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Monday, February 6, 2017 10:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by MyGposts Wednesday, February 8, 2017 2:07 AM
    • Edited by Joy-Qiao Friday, February 10, 2017 7:02 AM
    Friday, February 3, 2017 10:03 AM
  • But the fixit tool solved the issue, right? So I think your best option here is to capture the action from the Fixit tool with Process Monitor to find out which keys it deletes and try to make a script yourself. 

Or start digging in the extracted fixit tool to see if you can get those Powershell script to work. 

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 8:07 AM
  • Hi MyGposts,

Since the WMIC command didn‘t work, either. We could try to capture the registry keys as I suggested before which is mentioned by Ruud again.

Some third party software may be more efficient in capturing the registry keys. You could try to google it.

Best regards,
    Joy.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 9:57 AM

All replies

• And with wmic?  It's not the fixit tool, but you could give it a try

wmic product where "name like 'Java 8%'" call uninstall
    You can also unpack the downloaded .diagcab file, you will get some powershell script that might be useful. 

Thursday, February 2, 2017 7:38 PM
  • Hi MyGposts,

As as _Ruud suggested, we could try to uninstall the application with the WMIC command line.

For microsoft fix it tool, it is mainly used to clean the remained registry keys after uninstalling the application which will block installing that application later. We could capture those registry keys for those applications then create a script to delete the registry keys directly.

Best regards,
    Joy.

• Unproposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Monday, February 6, 2017 10:21 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Monday, February 6, 2017 10:21 AM
    • Edited by Joy-Qiao Friday, February 10, 2017 7:02 AM
    Friday, February 3, 2017 10:03 AM
  • Hi MyGposts,

Any update for the issue?

Please feel free to contact me at any time.

Best,
    Joy

• Edited by Joy-Qiao Monday, February 6, 2017 10:23 AM
    Monday, February 6, 2017 10:23 AM
  • OK, I will try the deleting the registry keys.

Does the WMIC uninstall command work after the application has already been partially uninstalled and is no longer displayed in the list of applications in the Control Panel?

Monday, February 6, 2017 2:27 PM
  • Still failing.  The WMIC command says it uninstalls, but still errors when I attempt reinstalling.

When I try uninstalling from add/remove programs, it fails because it is looking for the original install files in an incorrect path that points to the install files for a previous version of AnyConnect.

Monday, February 6, 2017 10:40 PM
  • But the fixit tool solved the issue, right? So I think your best option here is to capture the action from the Fixit tool with Process Monitor to find out which keys it deletes and try to make a script yourself. 

Or start digging in the extracted fixit tool to see if you can get those Powershell script to work. 

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 8:07 AM
  • Hi MyGposts,

Since the WMIC command didn‘t work, either. We could try to capture the registry keys as I suggested before which is mentioned by Ruud again.

Some third party software may be more efficient in capturing the registry keys. You could try to google it.

Best regards,
    Joy.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 9:57 AM
  • OK, we will try capturing the changes later.  For now, we will have to just keep using the tool to just get it done.
    Wednesday, February 8, 2017 2:07 AM