none
UAG2010 File Access not working correctly on mobile browsers RRS feed

• Question

• I've a fully updated UAG 2010 envoirement on a win 2008 R2 server.

I made a HTTPS trunk with a Portal and File Access. File access works great on pc/mac with IE/Firefox/Safari but when we use it on a iPad/iPad2 or various Android devices we cannot open files or folder. When you tap on it you'll see that its selected and you can see the details of the file or folder, but it won't open/download (no errors). I am able to upload files or manually open a folder by typing it in the adressbar. I'm also able to open different shares from the left "tree" and it shows the content of that share. I'm getting really frustrated because this is WHY we wanted to use UAG in the first place.

Are there more people with this problem or are there users who can test this in there envoirrement?

Friday, June 22, 2012 6:57 AM

All replies

• I've a fully updated UAG 2010 envoirement on a win 2008 R2 server.

I made a HTTPS trunk with a Portal and File Access. File access works great on pc/mac with IE/Firefox/Safari but when we use it on a iPad/iPad2 or various Android devices we cannot open files or folder. When you tap on it you'll see that its selected and you can see the details of the file or folder, but it won't open/download (no errors). I am able to upload files or manually open a folder by typing it in the adressbar. I'm also able to open different shares from the left "tree" and it shows the content of that share. I'm getting really frustrated because this is WHY we wanted to use UAG in the first place.

Are there more people with this problem or are there users who can test this in there envoirrement?

I think its a "double click" thing. When opening the website on windows mobile 6.5 double tap also zoom in like ipad en android but when you hold the stylus on a file or folder a menu appears with "open, download, rename, etc" and that works fine. But holding your finger on adroid or ios doesnt summon any menu's.
    Friday, June 22, 2012 1:59 PM
  • Yeah, these devices (iPad, etc) basically "hijack" your double-click and choose to do a Zoom-In instead of issuing an actual double-click. So far I have not found a way around this.

What you should really do is use SharePoint as your document management system instead of File Access. Use your UAG to securely publish access to SharePoint, but don't try to use UAG as a document management system.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:44 PM
  • We don't want to use UAG as a DMS but only a way to access homedirs on every device.

Is Sharepoint useable to link to homedirs and shares? We are not looking for DMS sollutions.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 6:19 AM
  • I believe that by default, no SharePoint cannot link to a file share. However, I do believe there are third parties that make extensions which enable SharePoint to do this.

The real reason I always recommend using a DMS instead of File Access is because of user operability. Something like SharePoint is obviously designed to be an online/browser document management system. File Access is more like an FTP site. It always causes lots of confusion and upset users when they realize that they have been opening and editing documents from File Access, and clicking Save, only to find out that clicking Save didn't do anything and when they open that document again later, the changes are lost. To edit documents through File Access, you must download the file, edit it offline, and then upload it back. Not user friendly.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 1:08 PM
  • Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is a way of adding a download or open button on the File Access toolbar to get around the right-click issue with IOS? 

Thanks

Richard

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 8:55 AM