Allow .Net Framework 3.5 installation on Windows 10 through WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We have a single domain, with a WSUS 3.0 Server running on W2008R2.

We have domain-joined machines running Windows 10 Pro.

Those machines get their updates normally through that WSUS server, and the rest of them (W7, W8.1) too.

We have the products "Windows 10" and "Windows 10 Feature on Demand" checked on WSUS.

We have approved ".Net 3.5 Feature on Demand for X64" and ".Net 3.5 Feature on Demand for X86" on WSUS.

Our issue is: when a user goes to Programs and Features on Windows 10, and tries to activate .Net Framework 3.5, he receives error 0x800F081F.

A network capture shows the machine is trying to contact our WSUS server for this, not Windows Update.

My questions are:

• Is there any way to allow users to install .Net Framework 3.5 on Windows 10 from WSUS?
    • Does it work on W2008R2-based WSUS? Or only on W2012R2?
    • Are those ".Net 3.5 Feature on Demand for XXX" updates the correct ones we have to approve to make it work?
    • Is going to Control Panel - Programs and Features and checking .Net Framework 3.5 the correct way to install it on Windows 10 through WSUS?
    • If .Net Framework 3.5 can't be deployed to Windows 10 through WSUS, how can we make it contact Windows Update for it? We have the GPO policy setting "contact Windows Update directly" set but it looks like Windows 10 ignores it (8.1 works though).

Thanks in advance, 

José

Thursday, April 7, 2016 9:32 PM

Answers

• Hi Jose Gomiz,

Try this command, check if it could help:

( "c:" represents your Windows media drive letter.)

>I understand this is not a WSUS issue, but a Windows 10/Group Policy/Update Client one

During our test, we also found that some GPOs couldn't be applied on window10 correctly, and seems there haven't been official article to explain it.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 2:03 AM

All replies

• are your Win10 machines, 1507/10240, or, 1511/10586 ?

These guys seem to have it working?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/28917-0x800f081f-when-using-wsus-domain.html

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Thursday, April 7, 2016 9:39 PM
  • This is really weird: the machine installed the update "Insider Hub Feature on Demand for X64" from our W2008R2 WSUS automatically, without my intervention (we have automatic installation of non-critical updates enabled). That update is in the same category as the .Net 3.5 Feature on Demand, and we approved all of them together. But the .Net 3.5 activation kept failing with the same 0x800F081F error.

So I moved the machine to another OU which points to a W2012R2 WSUS server from another site. I approved the .Net features on WSUS, waited for them to download on the server, and then the .Net activation on Windows 10 worked without issue.

Just to be sure I removed the feature, pointed the machine to the W2008R2 WSUS again and... error 0x800F081F right away... Pointed it back to W2012R2 WSUS and installs without issue...

I'll upgrade all our WSUS servers to W2012R2 then, but I still don't understand why the "Insider Hub Feature on Demand for X64" installs correctly from W2008R2 WSUS but the ".Net 3.5 Feature on Demand for X64" doesn't, and why the Windows 10 machines seem to ignore the GPO instruction to point to Windows Update for features on demand.

Our machines are Windows 10 1511.

Thanks DonPick for your help :)

Thursday, April 7, 2016 10:26 PM
  • Can't help but wonder, if somehow, the WSUS-on-WS2008R2-can't-do-Win10-upgrades, might somehow be related with your problem with FoD ?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/wsus/archive/2016/01/22/what-to-do-if-you-re-on-wsus-3-0-sp2-or-sbs-2011.aspx

Friday, April 8, 2016 8:28 AM
  • It makes sense, yes. That's why we'll be upgrading all our WSUS servers to W2012R2 soon.

Both issues remain though:

• Why the "Insider Hub Feature on Demand for X64" installs correctly from W2008R2 WSUS but the ".Net 3.5 Feature on Demand for X64" doesn't? (not highly critical if we upgrade our WSUS servers)
    • Why the Windows 10 machines seem to ignore the GPO instruction to point to Windows Update for features on demand? Maybe if that worked we could install the Framework 3.5 on Windows 10 machines without needing to upgrade all our WSUS servers. I understand this is not a WSUS issue, but a Windows 10/Group Policy/Update Client one.

Friday, April 8, 2016 11:19 AM
  • Hi Jose Gomiz,

Try this command, check if it could help:

( "c:" represents your Windows media drive letter.)

>I understand this is not a WSUS issue, but a Windows 10/Group Policy/Update Client one

During our test, we also found that some GPOs couldn't be applied on window10 correctly, and seems there haven't been official article to explain it.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 2:03 AM
  • This is incorrect, and is not a valid solution. It assumes the user has installation media available. In our case, none of our students have Windwos 10 media, so tehre is no "media drive letter" and the DISM command is not applicable.
    • Proposed as answer by shahin234 Tuesday, October 16, 2018 4:57 AM
    Thursday, August 17, 2017 5:46 PM
  • You can alter to bypass getting the updates through WSUS

Open Group Policy Editor (local or in AD), go to Computer Configuration → Policies → Administrative Templates → System, and open a setting called Specify settings for optional component installation… on the right-side panel.Then select Enabled, and check the option “Contact Windows Update directly to download repair content instead of WSUS

Click OK and done. Run “gpupdate /force” to update the changes on the workstations to avoid the reboot.

• Proposed as answer by bartman1c Sunday, March 1, 2020 6:15 AM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2018 5:11 AM
  • But then the user seems to be able to get any/all updates from Microsoft, even those we have blocked through WSUS. We had to turn this feature back off because of it.
    Monday, November 26, 2018 8:11 PM
  • are your Win10 machines, 1507/10240, or, 1511/10586 ?

These guys seem to have it working?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/28917-0x800f081f-when-using-wsus-domain.html

Their solution is: All I needed was under "Products" - Windows 10 Feature on Demand and that's it. Then approve the features I want to deploy and voila.

Maybe I'm having a brain block here, but when I go to Options | Products and Classifications | Windows... 'Windows 10 Feature On Demand' is already checked. So that in itself is not it. Where do I 'approve the features I want'? / What is that feature called?

Monday, November 26, 2018 8:17 PM
  • Thank you! This resolved our Windows 10 using WSUS issues.
    Wednesday, January 16, 2019 7:33 PM
  • I have one W10 system that needs .NET 3.5. I tried all variations of online and offline installers, in addition to using the methods mentioned here and using a command line install with the W10 installation media. Nothing worked as all attempts to install looked at WSUS, even the offline installers. I tried turning off all network connections so the system was isolated and still the offline installer wanted approval from WSUS.

Finally I removed the system from the domain, installed .NET 3.5 (all variations of installer seem to work), then re-joined the domain. That gets me through for this one system, fortunately I don't need to do it for any more, but I would love to know what the right solution is. For those of you looking to get it installed on one system but have this conflict with WSUS, try leaving the domain.

We are a smaller shop and our clients use W10 Pro, not Enterprise, so we can't rely on a GPO method to do this anyway, and I realize this solution won't work at scale. Hope this tip is helpful for somebody!

Friday, July 26, 2019 5:16 PM