none
PS 2010 AD Synchronisation - changing domains RRS feed

• Question

• I have a development environment in domain POC. Users have been synchronised and each account is associated with an AD Guid.

I want to roll the project server instance forward into the live domain XYZ-COM, and set up AD synch for the live domain.

Q1: Is there a script available to remove POC User AD Guids before I backup and restore databases to new environment?

Q2 is Project Server clever enough to handle this situation and pick up the new AD Guids for the live environment?

Thx

Mike

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 6:30 PM

Answers

• Hi

To answer my own question:

• restore databases to new system
    • run script to clear out AD Guids (null AD Guid field - MSP_Resources)
    • Create new PWA instance
    • Correct user accounts (new domain)
    • Run AD Synch

Problem solved

rgds

Mike

• Marked as answer by Sleekstone Friday, November 12, 2010 8:28 AM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 8:28 AM

All replies

• Dare I ask, why are you moving the databases from DEV to PROD?  I don't see that done too much.  Instead, I would recommend perhaps using Playbooks to move the configurations, then either do a mass dump of resources in Project, or run the sync command again.
    Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 2:42 AM
  • Hi Andrew

The playbook approach was considered but the reality is that we have a series of environments and the last is essentially a pre-prod (pilot) environment and significant effort has gone into migrating and validating very large legacy plans and cross project relationships (both soft and hard), and so the approach is to roll forward this as a new instance on the production kit.

So I have a specific issue which I am looking to understand. The user accounts have the same name in both domains (but different prefix)and are relatively easy to update, but my concern is knowing how project server responds to 'foreign" AD Guids associated with the user.

rgds

Mike

Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:32 AM
  • Hi

To answer my own question:

• restore databases to new system
    • run script to clear out AD Guids (null AD Guid field - MSP_Resources)
    • Create new PWA instance
    • Correct user accounts (new domain)
    • Run AD Synch

Problem solved

rgds

Mike

• Marked as answer by Sleekstone Friday, November 12, 2010 8:28 AM
    Friday, November 12, 2010 8:28 AM