Computer become unresponsive after going into idle RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I've read the forum on this issue and can't confirm to myself a definite resolution. So I would like to post my situation here. Please read and help me if you have time. My specs are in my signature. My current 'Power Options' is set to High .

Situations:

1. I leave the computer to be idle for sometime, then when return, I note that both the mouse back light and the keyboard back light are off. Moving the mouse or pressing a key on the keyboard does not wake up the computer.
    2. I leave the computer on to play music while I work nearby but not on the computer; then, after a while, I sometimes get a crash that that is accompanied by screeching noise from the speakers.
    3. In either case, no error message is returned after a hard reboot.

Observations:

1. I have 2 external HDD: 1.5TB and 2TB. When I boot the computer on, my mouse and keyboard are unresponsive until these hard drives are recognized by Windows. I wonder if the HDD's are related to my problems described above? Update : these HDD's are probably not related. I had another unresponsiveness happening 10 minutes earlier; I unplugged the HDD's to see if that would help; it didn't.
    2. In Device Manager, I have disallowed my wireless adapter, the generic USB hubs, and the USB root hubs from being powered off to save energy. But some time later, when I check Device Manager, I see these settings have been reset [to allowing these devices to be powered off]. Then, I have to manually redo the changes.
    3. Update : When the unresponsiveness occurred this last time, I had at least 1 program running in the background, plus I had my Power Options set to High Performance to the computer wasn't supposed to go to Sleep Mode anyway.

Possible fix?

Will this work?

• http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2300639

PS. All my internal hard drives are connected to the non-defective SATA3 ports on the P67 motherboard.

My specs: * Hardware : Core i7 2500K stock, MSI P67A-GD65, 2x4GB RAM stock, GTX 570 factory overclocked, Corsair 850W PSU, TP-Link TL-WN822N, Logitech C910 Webca, Logitech Z523 2.1 speakers * Software : Windows 7 x64 Pro OEM, Microsoft Security Essential 64bit, Firefox 3.6.13, Skype 5.1.0., lastest drivers for all hardware
    • Edited by ntvinh1985 Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:28 AM
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:15 PM

All replies

• BUMP.

I have also changed my original post a bit to better reflect my situation.

My specs: * Hardware : Core i7 2500K stock, MSI P67A-GD65, 2x4GB RAM stock, GTX 570 factory overclocked, Corsair 850W PSU, TP-Link TL-WN822N, Logitech C910 Webca, Logitech Z523 2.1 speakers * Software : Windows 7 x64 Pro OEM, Microsoft Security Essential 64bit, Firefox 3.6.13, Skype 5.1.0., lastest drivers for all hardware
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 11:20 AM
  • It could be System Restore (SR).  See the Task Scheduler.  It starts when you're idle every day, but will continue even if you're not idle.

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:36 PM
  • I just checked the Task Scheduler, SR is on the list, but what do I do about it? How does this help my problem? Thanks.
    My specs: * Hardware : Core i7 2500K stock, MSI P67A-GD65, 2x4GB RAM stock, GTX 570 factory overclocked, Corsair 850W PSU, TP-Link TL-WN822N, Logitech C510 Webcam, Logitech Z623 2.1 speakers * Software : Windows 7 x64 Pro OEM, Microsoft Security Essential 64bit, Firefox 3.6.13, Skype 5.1.0., lastest drivers for all hardware
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:01 PM
  • In Task Scheduler, 'enable task history'.  Then see if it was running next time the problem happens.  You can also see currently running tasks.  Maybe you should run chkdsk on your hard drive?

Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:22 PM
  • Hello JS2010 and others,

I enabled task history and did a chkdsk. No error was returned. Does anybody know why the computer has been reversing my settings regarding turning off devices to save power? Thanks.

My specs: * Hardware : Core i7 2500K stock, MSI P67A-GD65, 2x4GB RAM stock, GTX 570 factory overclocked, Corsair 850W PSU, TP-Link TL-WN822N, Logitech C510 Webcam, Logitech Z623 2.1 speakers * Software : Windows 7 x64 Pro OEM, Microsoft Security Essential 64bit, Firefox 3.6.13, Skype 5.1.0., lastest drivers for all hardware
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:08 AM
  • Hi,

Please update the Mouse and Keyboard driver manually as well as the BIOS from the manufacture site. You can refer to:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Update-a-driver-for-hardware-that-isnt-working-properly

Verify that your device is allowed to wake the computer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Go to device manager, right click the device and choose Properties

2. Click the Power Management tab, and then verify that the Allow this device to wake the computer is enabled.

If the issue persists, please also change the settings in advance power option and perform a Clean Boot. The following KB also applies to Windows 7.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930312

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:18 AM
  • Hi Niki and others,

My mouse and keyboard are up-to-date and allowed to wake the computer. There is a 1 new BIOS update that I will do later today. But for now, please look at this screenshot

http://cid-a82dcd7e78b3a003.photos.live.com/self.aspx/Screenshots/110217%20-%20Device%20Manager.PNG

of my Device Manager. What are those HID mice and keyboards? My actual mouse and keyboard are:

- Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 3500dpi

- Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse II

Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Hi,

Please update the BIOS first. If the issue persists, you can reinstall USB controllers to check the result.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/asiasupp/archive/2010/11/23/error-message-one-of-the-usb-device-attached-to-this-computer-has-malfunctioned-and-windows-does-not-recognise-it.aspx

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, February 18, 2011 7:31 AM
  • Hi Niki, there are a lot of items under Universal Serial Bus controllers, do I uninstall for all of them? What is the potential damage of doing this?

Saturday, February 19, 2011 3:41 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, you need to install all the items under Universal Serial Bus controllers. You can refer to:

Reinstall USB controllers

=======================

Use the Mouse

------------------------

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start" button, type "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) in the "Search" bar and press "Enter". Click "Continue" if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Use the Keyboard

-----------------------------

First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:

1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the "Start" menu.

2. Type "devmgmt.msc" in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click "Continue" if necessary.

3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

4. Press "Right" and expand it.

5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.

6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all controllers automatically. There is no the potential damage of doing this.

Best Regards,

Niki

Monday, February 21, 2011 9:49 AM
  • Hello People,

I have just the same Problem. It freezes when in IDLE. When I play a game or something which uses the CPU then nothing happens. As soon as the mouse rests, it freezes.

I have Windows 7 64 bit. MSI P67A-GD65, 2600K, 16Gb Ram 1600Mhz, Geforce GTX 570. I am really frustrated.

Ah, and three Other Devices   have the yellow sign.

1. SM Bus Controller
    2. Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
    3. Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller
    It is really weird. Would be nice if there is some clever genie out there?
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:59 PM
  • I have exactly same issue with : MB : MSI P67A GD65 RAM : 2x4 Go PC12800 Corsair GC : MSI GTX 560 ti 1 Go DDR5 Any idea would could help ? :(
    Friday, February 25, 2011 8:09 PM
  • Arvidurs and Ethylo, does either of you have a 120Hz monitor (I have the ASUS VG236 @ 1080p 120Hz)? So far we have the the following things in common:

• MSI P67A-GD65 main board : I've been suspecting that this is related to our problem. I think the on board audio/audio driver of this board also cause my computer to have sporadic crashes accompanied by screeching noise.
    • A 500 series Nvidia graphics card

My specs: * Hardware : Core i7 2500K stock, MSI P67A-GD65, 2x4GB RAM stock, GTX 570 factory overclocked, Corsair 850W PSU, TP-Link TL-WN822N, Logitech C510 Webcam, Logitech Z623 2.1 speakers * Software : Windows 7 x64 Pro SP1 OEM, Avast free 6.0, Firefox 3.6.13, Skype 5.1.0., lastest drivers for all hardware
    Friday, February 25, 2011 8:43 PM
  • Hello

viewsonic vx2262 here. ( no 120 Hz )

Monitor cannot be the root cause... I suspect either the RAM beeing uncompatible with mainboard, or the mainboard itself....

Graphic card is the last option...

Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:11 AM
  • I thought of the monitor because this always happened after the monitor had been turned off (by the computer itself) by some time.
    My specs: * Hardware : Core i7 2500K stock, MSI P67A-GD65, 2x4GB RAM stock, GTX 570 factory overclocked, Corsair 850W PSU, TP-Link TL-WN822N, Logitech C510 Webcam, Logitech Z623 2.1 speakers * Software : Windows 7 x64 Pro SP1 OEM, Avast free 6.0, Firefox 3.6.13, Skype 5.1.0., lastest drivers for all hardware
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 2:29 AM
  • dunno if this is relevant but ...

Yesterday I uninstalled the audio driver of the motherboard and reinstall it, and I updated the BIOS to 1.8 release... and since 24h I didnt get any freeze...

Saturday, February 26, 2011 12:47 PM
  • I guess my issue is fixed now, no more freeze since 34h
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:29 PM
  • issue is definately fixed.
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 3:27 AM
  • I updated my BIOS too, and it definitely seems to improve the situation but I did get a crash 1 time: I turned off the monitor before turning in for the night. The next morning, I couldn't turn on the computer with the mouse or the keyboard so I had to do a force Reset. But other than that incident, it seems fine.
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 3:45 AM
  • Dunno if it is linked for the issue, but I removed also one old hard disk, and move my RAM from DIMM 2 and 4 to 1 and 3.

How is placed your ram on the mainboard ?

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 7:33 AM
  • Ethylo, is this still fixed for you?  Any updates from you ntvinh1985?  I have almost the same setup that you guys have.  i7 2600k, P67A-GF65, 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair 850W PS, Windows 7 Home 64-bit.  I'm having the random lockups.  It almost exclusively happens when I'm away from the computer and it is idling.  There was one time that I was doing light web browsing and it happened.  I've updated the bios and turned off all power saving features in windows.
    Monday, March 14, 2011 6:06 PM