Exchange 2010 PST to online archive import problems - calendar items RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

We're trying to move users away from PST files and on to online archives. At the moment, i'm having some problems occasionally when using EMS to import these PST files. The mailbox import request will get stuck in a "in progress" status and clients will lose connectivity to exchange. It will flick between a connected and disconnected state for users and cause general mail problems (eg. mail getting stuck in the outbox). Once i suspend the import request everything is fixed again.

I have done some looking into it, and it seems that the issue is caused by calendar items in the users PST file. eg. meeting requests / cancellations etc. Contacts and other 'non mail' items may also play a part. In the PSTs that cause the issue, after i suspend and remove the import request, if i open them manually i will see it has succesfully moved everything into the users online archive bar these items. I've tried using an unlimited baditemlimit and acceptlargedataloss to see if it will skip them, but it doesn't seem to help.

With some other, larger, PST files i have had to kill the job before it got that far. In those cases - if i open the users mailbox as a new profile and open the PST to drag and drop manually... i find those items will not go into the archive. Other mail items are fine. If i have a large group of them selected, it will generally crash the mail client. If i do it individually or in small groups (eg. 5 items) - it will open an email message with the details of the meeting (or multiple if more than one item is selected). It wont put anything in the archive, just open the message.

I suspect the online archive has an issue with these sorts of mail items, but i haven't had much luck finding any info about it. Can anyone shed some light? Also if anyone has any possible work arounds or a way to perhaps filter these items? i'd rather not have to manually drag and drop the contents of everyones pst files into their archives - the EMS is a much easier way to do it :)

Cheers

Kai

Thursday, December 15, 2011 6:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Kai,

Any updates?

Suggest you install Rollup 6 or Exchange 2010 SP2 directly.

Please try to import pst items to primary mailbox to test and what's the result.

Frank Wang

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by emma.yoyo Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:48 AM
    Monday, December 19, 2011 7:03 AM

All replies

• What patch level is your Exchange Server up to ?
    Troy Werelius
    www.Lucid8.com
    Search, Recover, & Extract Mailboxes, Folders, & Email Items from Offline EDB's and Live Exchange Servers with Lucid8's DigiScope
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 6:01 PM
  • I've seen issues like this and as you say, it's normally calendar items or read/delivery receipts.  Painfully, I've had to filter these out via Outlook.

These messages are corrupt in some way, maybe missing MAPI property of some kind.

You can try PST repair etc....

Sukh
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 10:02 PM
  • pst repair hasn't helped unfortunately.

re: patch level, I believe we are on Roll up 4. We're going to fast track Roll up 5 and see if that helps.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 11:49 PM
  • Hi Kai,

Any updates?

Suggest you install Rollup 6 or Exchange 2010 SP2 directly.

Please try to import pst items to primary mailbox to test and what's the result.

Frank Wang

• Edited by emma.yoyo Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by emma.yoyo Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:48 AM
    Monday, December 19, 2011 7:03 AM
  • Hi Kai,

Any updates?

Frank Wang

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 1:45 AM
  • Hi Frank

Sorry no, no patching has been done yet to my knowledge (unfortunately out of my hands). Hopefully soon :)

• Edited by Kai Tingey Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:08 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:08 AM