processors RRS feed

• Question

• I have purchased a new lenovo laptop. (2nd gen core i5)

it is a 32 bit system.

i want to make it a 64 bit system. (windows 7 ultimate is the OS)

is it possible?

do help me . i have 4gb ram.

if any method explain it to me and also send email regarding it .

Friday, February 24, 2012 8:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It is possible, please refer the Windows 7 system requirements:

Hope that helps

William Tan

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Monday, March 5, 2012 6:40 AM
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 12:40 PM
  • First of all you have to verify that your system is able to run a 64 bit operating system: this kind of information could be provided by Lenovo.
    After that, you have to go to the PC manufacturer's web site, locate and download all the drivers developed for Windows 7 64 bit (assuming it is supported by Lenovo).
    Perform a full backup of your data: you cannot upgrade a 32 bit operating system to a 64 bit one, you have to perform a full installation from scratch.
    Finally (unless you have a 64 bit Windows installation disc provided by Lenovo), you have to buy a Retail License of Windows 7, where you'll find both the 32 bit and the 64 bit installation support for Windows 7: insert the 64 bit Windows DVD into the DVD player and boot your system to start the Windows installation process.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

Friday, February 24, 2012 10:41 PM
  • If it's an I5, yes.

That would be verified by checking whether Lenovo offers 64 bit drivers for your laptop. Or, download and run the Upgrade Advisor.

The license key for your 32 bit installation should also work with a 64 bit one. The officially approved source of a 64 bit installation disk would be Lenovo.

If they won't cooperate, there are other ways to get an installation disk. One way is to get a different version of an X64 disk, and make it a universal installer. (Search on "ei.cfg".)

4GB of RAM is small enough that I recommend staying with 32 bit. Because there is no upgrade-in-place from any 32 bit Windows to a 64 bit version, you'd have to re-install every application.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 3:13 AM

All replies

• First of all you have to verify that your system is able to run a 64 bit operating system: this kind of information could be provided by Lenovo.
    After that, you have to go to the PC manufacturer's web site, locate and download all the drivers developed for Windows 7 64 bit (assuming it is supported by Lenovo).
    Perform a full backup of your data: you cannot upgrade a 32 bit operating system to a 64 bit one, you have to perform a full installation from scratch.
    Finally (unless you have a 64 bit Windows installation disc provided by Lenovo), you have to buy a Retail License of Windows 7, where you'll find both the 32 bit and the 64 bit installation support for Windows 7: insert the 64 bit Windows DVD into the DVD player and boot your system to start the Windows installation process.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

Friday, February 24, 2012 10:41 PM
  • If it's an I5, yes.

That would be verified by checking whether Lenovo offers 64 bit drivers for your laptop. Or, download and run the Upgrade Advisor.

The license key for your 32 bit installation should also work with a 64 bit one. The officially approved source of a 64 bit installation disk would be Lenovo.

If they won't cooperate, there are other ways to get an installation disk. One way is to get a different version of an X64 disk, and make it a universal installer. (Search on "ei.cfg".)

4GB of RAM is small enough that I recommend staying with 32 bit. Because there is no upgrade-in-place from any 32 bit Windows to a 64 bit version, you'd have to re-install every application.

Saturday, February 25, 2012 3:13 AM
  • Hi,

It is possible, please refer the Windows 7 system requirements:

Hope that helps

William Tan

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 12:40 PM