none
Creating Storage Space By Deleting Old Recovery Points RRS feed

• Question

• hie, i have a client that's using DPM 2012 R2 and they are having issues maybe you can be able to help me with steps to archive this, their storage has run out of space and recovery points cannot be created anymore.
     I manually deleted old recovery  points and tried pruning shadow copies, after that i manually modified disk allocations and restarted the server but there is no change whatsoever. i used a Microsoft script that calls out diskpart later on but still it didn't help.
    changed short term recovery points by halved, and more than 3 days later we are still not able to see free space on the drive. please help
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 12:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Where are you looking for the free space ?   If you reduce protection goals or manually delete recovery points, that is only going to free up space on the recovery point volume and should reduce the "used" space on that recovery point volume.   As noted, to get free space back in the DPM storage pool, you need to shrink recovery point volumes after reducing the retention period and running the pruneshadowcopies2010.ps1 script manually or wait until after midnight when pruning job runs.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 30, 2014 4:08 PM
  • Hi,

Where are you looking for the free space ?   If you reduce protection goals or manually delete recovery points, that is only going to free up space on the recovery point volume and should reduce the "used" space on that recovery point volume.   As noted, to get free space back in the DPM storage pool, you need to shrink recovery point volumes after reducing the retention period and running the pruneshadowcopies2010.ps1 script manually or wait until after midnight when pruning job runs.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Hi Mike

I have done all these steps but no change because the recovery point creations are failing after this.

is there something else that i am missing in regards to this?

i have deleted many old recovery points and shrunk the volumes too but my recovery point creations are failing still.

M.Juma

Friday, October 31, 2014 10:17 AM
  • Hi,

Please supply the details from the last failed job for the data source in question along with the details of replica volume and recovery point volume size and used spaces.

Also supply the output of the dpm power shell command.

Get-dpmdisk

Friday, October 31, 2014 2:26 PM
  • HI 

I ACTUALLY HAD A CHAT WITH THE CLIENT AND NOTICED THAT THIS ISSUE STARTED WHEN THE DPM 2010 ENVIRONMENT WAS UPGRADED TO 2012 R2, TEHY HAVE A 20TB ALLOCATION BUT ALL THATS LEFT IS 1 TERABYTE.

I RAN A SCRIPT TO DELETE RECOVERY POINTS BUT I ONLY SAW A FEW RECOVERY POINTS THAT DATE FROM OCTOBER.

MAY YOU PLEASE ASSIST AS TO WHAT I SHOULD DO TO FREE UP THIS SPACE.

I RAN PRUNESHADOW COPIES, DISK PART BUT I RETAINED A SMALL AMOUNT.

M.Juma

Monday, November 3, 2014 2:24 PM
  • Hi,

Run this from an administrative command prompt and see if you have any dangling snapshots that should have been deleted but were not.

vssadmin list shadows | find /i "creation time:"

You can also get a total snapshot count by running this command:

vssadmin list shadows | find /c /i "c:\Program Files\Microsoft"

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 12:11 AM
  • Hi 

i ran the first command and it gave me the recent ones that start from end of october only, the other second command gave me a total of 114 but didn't list anything.

I PREVIOUSLY RAN A POWERSHELL SCRIPT THAT GAVE ME THE LIST BELOW, NOW I AM LOOKING FOR ONE THAT I CAN USE TO AUTOSHRINK THOSE VOLUMES SO THAT I SPACE CAN BE ALLOCATED SOMEWHERE.

KR-DPM-01 System Protection.name Shadow Copy UnUsed Space 518.71 GB
    KR-EXMBX-01 BSi Users 01 ReplicaUnUsedSpace 187.75 GB
    KR-EXMBX-01 BSi Users 01.name Shadow Copy UnUsed Space 266.50 GB
    KR-EXMBX-01 BSi Users 02 ReplicaUnUsedSpace 246.74 GB
    KR-EXMBX-01 BSi Users 02.name Shadow Copy UnUsed Space 361.43 GB
    KR-EXMBX-01 BSi Users 03.name Shadow Copy UnUsed Space 138.96 GB
    KR-EXMBX-01 System Protection ReplicaUnUsedSpace 97.71 GB
    KR-EXMBX-02 BSi Executives 01.name Shadow Copy UnUsed Space 459.74 GB
    KR-EXMBX-02 BSi Users 01 ReplicaUnUsedSpace 220.34 GB
    KR-EXMBX-02 BSi Users 01.name Shadow Copy UnUsed Space 613.67 GB
    KR-EXMBX-02 BSi Users 02 ReplicaUnUsedSpace 334.63 GB
    KR-EXMBX-02 BSi Users 02.name Shadow Copy UnUsed Space 182.77 GB
    KR-EXMBX-02 BSi Users 03 ReplicaUnUsedSpace 129.97 GB
    KR-EXMBX-02 BSi Users 03.name Shadow Copy UnUsed Space 241.79 GB
    KR-FILESERV-01 D:\ ReplicaUnUsedSpace 265.56 GB
    KR-HOST1-NODE02 System Protection.name Shadow Copy UnUsed Space 188.08 GB
    KR-SQL01 (MSSQLSERVER) BSI_AXDBTraining.name Shadow Copy UnUsed Space 153.92 GB
    KR-SQL01 (MSSQLSERVER) BSI_DBAX2009Test.name Shadow Copy UnUsed Space 148.31 GB
    KR-SQL01-NODE02 System Protection ReplicaUnUsedSpace 190.98 GB
    KR-SQL02 (BSISCOM) OperationsManagerDW ReplicaUnUsedSpace 164.91 GB
    SCVMM BI - NEW Resources Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\BI - NEW (151) ReplicaUnUsedSpace 177.79 GB
    SCVMM BI - NEW Resources Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\BI - NEW (151).name Shadow Copy UnUsed Space 205.54 GB
    SCVMM KR SPweb 01 Resources Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\KR SPweb 01 ReplicaUnUsedSpace 130.32 GB
    SQL Server (DAX) BSI_AXDBLive ReplicaUnUsedSpace 103.67 GB
    SQL Server (DAX) master.name Shadow Copy UnUsed Space 153.92 GB
    SQL Server (DAX) model.name Shadow Copy UnUsed Space 153.92 GB
    SQL Server (DAX) msdb.name Shadow Copy UnUsed Space 153.92 GB

M.Juma

Tuesday, November 4, 2014 11:51 AM
  • Hi,

You can download the shrink-diskpart.zip file from the following location.  This may be updated at a later time and is supplied as-is.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=885774776d4f197a&resid=885774776D4F197A!120

It has three modes of operation and will prompt to select one during execution.

R = Report, S = Shrink with confirmation, A = Automatically Shrink all possible volumes:

Recovery points are counted by days with successful recovery points regardless of how many recoivery points are taken on any given day.  So, if you took 8 recovery points a day (counting express full and incremental) for 14 days, that would equal 112 recovery points. On the 15th day, we would delete 8.  If you missed a few days where no RP's were made, then those days would not count toward the 14 days and we would not prune any.   So you could actually see RP from 17 days ago, but still not have 14 days of recovery points, so no pruning would occur.

Thursday, November 6, 2014 12:37 AM