ActiveSync And Mobile Device Issue RRS feed

• Question

• The problem that I seem to be running into is that I have a user who connected his Mobile phone to the E-mail server. It worked prior to the upgrade. Upon completion of the upgrade, we deleted the account (exchange connection) on the mobile device and attempted to reconnect. It failed. I believe that the problem lies inside the exchange server and not on the users’ mobile phone for several reasons.

<!   1) The exchange server recognizes a mobile connection of some kind as it allows access to the Mobile Management Menu

<!   2)W e have Hard reset and actually completely replaced the phone with a brand new phone.

3)     3)All other users are able to connect. This includes a user’s with an identical phone to the one I am having an issue with.

Here is what I believe maybe happening but I don’t know how to correct it. I believe that the exchange server created a kind of temp file when it connected to any mobile device. This temp file would only be used to transmit and receive the data from the mobile device and merge it into the users Mailbox data. I believe that normally when the user would have broken his connection to the exchange server from his mobile device, that the exchange server would have cleared this temp file so that he could reconnect. I believe that there is some sort of error preventing this connection from happening and need Guidance.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 7:02 PM

Answers

• It Turns out that if the Inherit permissions

Go To Active Directory Users and Computers --> Click View --> Click Advanced Features --> Find your user in Active Directory -->

Right Click on the user and open Properties --> Go to the Security Tab --> Click Advanced --> You should open up on the Permissions Tab --> Make sure that there IS a check mark in the "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent" box.

This corrected the issue that I was having. This was completed in Server 2008 Std Ed and effected Exchange 2010 and my understanding is that it will also affect 2007.
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Wei Monday, February 8, 2010 5:43 AM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:28 PM
  • Hi Khosravipour,

Is this user a member of any "Protected Groups"? If they are then you may find this inheritence gets disabled again in an hour.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817433/

-brian
    Brian Day, Overall Exchange & AD Geek
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    MCTS: Microsoft Enterprise Server 2010, Configuration
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    LMNOP
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:36 PM

All replies

• It Turns out that if the Inherit permissions

Go To Active Directory Users and Computers --> Click View --> Click Advanced Features --> Find your user in Active Directory -->

Right Click on the user and open Properties --> Go to the Security Tab --> Click Advanced --> You should open up on the Permissions Tab --> Make sure that there IS a check mark in the "Include inheritable permissions from this object's parent" box.

This corrected the issue that I was having. This was completed in Server 2008 Std Ed and effected Exchange 2010 and my understanding is that it will also affect 2007.
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Wei Monday, February 8, 2010 5:43 AM
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:28 PM
  • Hi Khosravipour,

Is this user a member of any "Protected Groups"? If they are then you may find this inheritence gets disabled again in an hour.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817433/

-brian
    Brian Day, Overall Exchange & AD Geek
    MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    MCTS: Microsoft Enterprise Server 2010, Configuration
    MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010
    LMNOP
    Tuesday, February 2, 2010 5:36 PM