none
restoring project in pwa 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to restore a project from administrative restore in  PWA 2010.

Where Can i get the restored file ?

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 2:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Project Help,

The project will be restored to the DRAFT database. Thus you have to open Project Pro and publish it so it'll be saved also in the publish/reporting DB.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 3:01 PM
  • can I get copy of it? to save to my local drive?

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 4:38 PM
  • Of course, you can do whatever you used to do with any project from the draft DB, such as doing a "save as" on a local drive.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, April 7, 2015 9:23 PM
  • After restoring I opened the project from PWA I see the one which I restored without publishing where is the current copy?

where is the draft database?

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 2:35 PM
  • Let me explain more in détails.

When you are working on a project and saving it, it goes in the draft DB. When publishing, it goes to the published DB. When you are in PWA, you see the published DB, unless you are editing a project.

Restoring a project copies it from the archive DB to the draft DB.

Thus normally, if you open the schedule in PWA without checking it out (read only), you see the published version, thus not the restored one. Then if you click on "edit", you have the Schedule in read-write mode from the draft DB, thus you see the restored one.

Then about the draft DB, it is part one the 4 Project Server DB:

• draft: the one you are using while working on a project and saving it,
    • publish: the data goes to this DB when you are publishing the project,
    • reporting: at the same time, while publishing, the data also goes to the reporting DB,
    • archive: every night, if you configured the admin backup, all items that have changed since the last backup (last night) are backed up.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 2:42 PM
  • I am still not getting it.

let me explain what i have done then may be I will understand it.

I have opened my projects added a task and then publish it

Then went to Administrative restore and restore my project from last week and when after restoring I opened my project I see the old version without  the changes I  made

Is it replacing the current file

where Can I get the old version from last week without replacing the current project?

Hope it make sense now

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 3:35 PM
  • Ok I get it!

Restoring the project from the admin backup will overwrite the project in the draft DB, then after publishing it, it will overwrite it in the publish DB. It doesn't restore it in a local drive so you can keep the old and the new version.

To do that, it will required a complete DB backup at farm level in a QA environment and then copy the project file manually.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 3:53 PM
  • but when I am restoring it ,I am not publishing it, I just opened it in edit mode or read only mode both give same copy(restored copy)
    Wednesday, April 8, 2015 4:00 PM