none
Current Date RRS feed

• Question

•  I set the current date using Project Information dialog and save the file. When I reopen the file I observe that the current date is changed and MS-Project has picked up the date from the system. Is there a way to prevent the same? If MS-Project is picking the date from the system then what is the objective of setting the same using Project Information Dialog? 

Ulhas Samant

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 4:44 AM

All replies

• The current date field is there to confirm the system date is correct or for you to temporarily revert to an earlier date for reporting purposes. It will always reset to system date on re-opening.

What are you trying to achieve? Maybe the Status date will do what you want?

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 8:54 AM
  • Ulhas,

Perhaps what you intend to do is set the start date of all new auto-scheduled tasks. By default Project will set the start date of all new auto-scheduled tasks to the Project Start date. The user can change that such that all new auto-scheduled tasks start on the current date. That option is found under File/Options/Schedule group/scheduling options.

Once the Project Start date is set for a project file it will stay at that date unless changed by the user.

John

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 3:04 PM
  • Thank you for the answer.  You mentioned " for you to temporarily revert to an earlier date for reporting purposes" .  Can you explain  the same a bit more (preferably with an example).)? 

Ulhas Samant

Friday, August 19, 2016 4:30 AM
  • If you haven't kept file copies each week and need to recreate history, it might be useful to reset the clock temporarily to re-create a specific report. I have never needed to. Fact is that current date always resets to system date on opening as is desirable.

What are you trying to achieve? Why would you want a different current date?

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Sunday, August 21, 2016 12:46 AM