none
cannot restore authenticator after phone reset RRS feed

• Question

• I have reset and restored my iphone7+.  I had Microsoft Authenticator running the 2fa for two other sites (not Microsoft related).  Upon restoring the phone from backup, the Microsoft Authenticator no longer showed the accounts, therefore I cannot log in to my two money accounts.  I have contacted Microsoft help via the phone with no successful resolution and they recommended this forum.  (The Google Authenticator that was also on the phone still shows the accounts for the other 2fa services for different websites after the backup restore, by the way).  I cannot log in.  The Microsoft Authenticator no longer shows the associated accounts.  I cannot seem to resolve this issue.  What are my options?

1. IPhone "Erase All Content and Settings"

2. Restore IPhone from backup

3. Google Authenticator shows the 2fa accounts that were on it.

4. Microsoft Authenticator shows no 2fa accounts and I cannot find out how to restore them.

Thank you for your consideration of my issue.

Craig Hartman

Monday, January 22, 2018 1:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Chartman,

For security purposes, we don't restore accounts from app backups. After you restore the app, delete your accounts and add them again.

More information about Microsoft authenticator app, please refer to this link below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/multi-factor-authentication/end-user/microsoft-authenticator-app-faq

Best regards,

Jason

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 23, 2018 7:03 AM
  • How can you add the accounts back if you can’t log into them because you don’t have the 2fa codes?
    Thursday, October 24, 2019 2:34 PM