none
How to handle a re-organization in Project Server 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am the Project Server 2007 Administrator and we are dealing with a re-organization. RBS and Team Names will be changing for everyone in the organization which is about 400 people. Currently, we have the system implemented with the RBS and Team Names. What is the best method of handling an organizational change? Should I add a skillset field to aid with this in the future? Thank you in advance for your help.

Barb Gehling

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:47 PM

All replies

• I can't answer your question about skillset without knowing a lot more about how you use Project Server and how your organization works.

As far as methods for changing RBS and Teams, that depends most significantly on whether you want to retain historical information.  For example, would you want a Resource Manager to be able to still see information about the resources he managed before the reorganization?  Or, would you want to be able to report work done by the old Team Assignment Pools?

If the answer is no, then you might simply create the new RBS and teams, and edit all the resources' information.

If you do wish to preserve history, then you could "retire" the present resources by marking them Inactive, and then create new resources that you can associate with the new RBS and team structures.  You would not delete the existing RBS and Team lists; rather, you would add to them.  For any retired resource that is also a user, you would need to remove the Windows ID information so that you could use it for the corresponding newly created user/resource.

Whatever you do, it will be best to work in a DEV environment to test your methods and outcomes.

Reid McTaggart Partner DeltaBahn LLC
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 5:31 PM