none
Powershell to tweak computer settings RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need some guidance and pointers to how to archive my goal. I work in the Museum business and deploy interactive installations with touchscreens as input. When I setup a new computer I need to do various tasks, like

* Autologin, using netplwiz.exe

* Turn off various touch options. Dont want the users to access touch keyboard, right click, flicks

* Make sure the screen never turns off

* Make sure the computer dont sleep or hibernate

* Setup users and passwords

* install custom software

* turn off mouse pointer

* hide start menu

This is just some examples. How can I automate these tasks with powershell? Is wmic what I should be using? Any help would be nice. 

Have a nice day!

-fredrik-normann-

Friday, May 23, 2014 3:06 PM

Answers

• Many tasks are done during deployment or imaging.  Start by doing all that can be done in Group Policy ( most things there can).

Much of what you are doing will be set up if you choose to set the system up as a kiosk.  Search for articles on enabling and configuring kiosk mode.  Kiosk is used in situations like yours where you want to force on program to be the only thing running and block all access to the computer itself.  This is how all of those great kiosks are built.  The autologin is also part of the Kiosk setup and is part of Windows.  You do not need any other tools to set this up.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, May 23, 2014 8:21 PM

All replies

• It seems that these kinds of settings are exactly what Group Policy is designed for.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Friday, May 23, 2014 3:26 PM
  • Hi Frederik,

you can probably do most of that with Powershell, however not everything you can do is necessarily a good idea :).

Much of what you want done would be far easier and more comfortable to do with Group Policies. You can set startup-scripts, plenty of configuration settings, create user-accounts.

You can emulate these tasks with Powershell - GP sets registry settings, so you can recreate those in script - but it's far easier to maintain using GP.

Cheers,
    Fred

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Friday, May 23, 2014 3:27 PM
  • Many tasks are done during deployment or imaging.  Start by doing all that can be done in Group Policy ( most things there can).

Much of what you are doing will be set up if you choose to set the system up as a kiosk.  Search for articles on enabling and configuring kiosk mode.  Kiosk is used in situations like yours where you want to force on program to be the only thing running and block all access to the computer itself.  This is how all of those great kiosks are built.  The autologin is also part of the Kiosk setup and is part of Windows.  You do not need any other tools to set this up.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, May 23, 2014 8:21 PM