none
Outlook takes 3 minutes to move mail dragged between Inbox and shared folders

Question

• We are on Office 365 E3 using Outlook fully updated.

One user wishes to drag mail from his own Inbox to another. The source folder is his own, the recipient Inbox is a licensed users' folder to which he has full access. The email has an attachment of about 2Mb.

Once dragged, the email takes up to 3 minutes to move, and Outlook shows as 'Not Responding' until the move is complete.

His computer is a Del Optiplex 7040 i7 with 8Gb RAM running the latest Office 365 on Windows 7 fully patched.

• Edited by Nigel Mayo Tuesday, March 28, 2017 4:02 PM
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 3:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Nigel,

>>The email has an attachment of about 2Mb.

What about other text messages without any attachment?

>>the recipient Inbox is a licensed users' folder to which he has full access.

Is the option of "Download shared folders" enabled? Try to adjust this, then verify result again.

This option can be found under File>Account Settings>E-mail tab>then double-click your Microsoft Exchange Server account>Change Account dialog box>click More Settings>Advanced tab.

Reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3115602/performance-problems-when-you-try-to-access-folders-in-a-secondary-mailbox-in-outlook

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:08 AM
  • Hi Ethan, thanks for your reply :-)

Messages without attachments take a couple of seconds.

Outlook is in cached mode but 'Download Shared Folders' is unticked as the user has a number of shared folders, enough to trigger errors that required me to follow a knowledge base article that recommended unticking it.

I am aware of Exchange online issue EX97343 that affects OWA and wondered if symptoms were affecting Outlook client software on PCs too.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 9:43 AM
  • Have you tried Outlook Safe mode? Also, better to test this with another user's client.

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 7:44 AM
  • Also, what if you configure the shared mailbox as a second Exchange account in the outlook profile?
    Tuesday, April 4, 2017 7:46 AM