none
Microsoft Word Versions XP-2007

General discussion

• When sequencing older versions of Word you may notice that it will fail to launch as in some cases it will try to do an auto-repair. This is something that can be and needs to be disabled for older versions of Word to work as an App-V application. Office 2010 still supports most, if not all Word file types so it's unlikely you would need to virtualize older versions. I like to do it for Demo purposes to show multiple versions working side by side.

Step 1 - Prepare the sequencing machine by adding the following Exclusions to the Exclusions list:

Launch the App-V Sequencer. Browse to Tools-->Options

%CSIDL_WINDOWS%\Installer

\REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

\REGISTRY\MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Ensure Windows Search and Windows Defender services have been stopped on the machine.

Step 2 - Sequence the Application

Choose all defaults in the App-V Sequencing Wizard until you get to the window prompting you to provide a Package name. Name the package accordingly e.g. Microsoft Word 2003. Take note of the Primary Directory e.g. Q:\Microsoft Word 2003 as you'll want to install the application here. Click Next.

Choose Perform a custom installation. Click Next.

Launch Setup.exe. Ensure you select custom during the installation, For this application I allow it to install to the default Install Directory. However I do a custom installation and select unavailable for all components and sub-components except for the Word which I select to run from this computer.

Once the installation has complete you need to set the following registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\

Microsoft\Office\11\Word\Options

NoReReg as a DWORD registry with value=1

Note 11 is the version of Word. Adjust this accordingly for whatever version you are sequencing.

Check the box to indicate the install has been completed once you have successfully installed the application.

One the next screen you can launch the app to ensure there's no unexpected prompts or errors. Once application is closed again. Click Next.

If you would like to stream from a server you should choose to customize the application further. This will allow you to modify the File Type associations and shortcut if you would like. Include the File types you would like. if you are doing this to support a certain FTA ensure it's in there, delete any unwanted. If it's just for a demo then you might be like me and remove all but .doc.

Now you may launch to capture the Feature Block 1 (What will appear first to the user) Here I launch the application and click on File, Edit and Help to ensure the menus appear right on launch time. When complete close the application and click next.

Ensure you search through the virtual registry and remove any HARDCODED references to your logged on name. Also look for any unwanted files that may have been captured in Virtual File System. Older Office installers seem to put down a lot of fluff.

When complete you may select File-->SaveAs

Save the application to the relevant path (what you set in the Deployment tab)

Step 3 - Application Complete

That should be it. You can now launch Word on your client machine and you should also be able to double click any .doc file and have it open in your sequenced Word 2003. The above also applies to Office XP and Office 2007. Just ensure you change the registry value.

I hope this is helpful for somebody!

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Sunday, October 7, 2012 6:35 PM