none
BitLocker recovery lost

Question

• I have just had a repair on my laptop with fan issues. After that I found my laptop being locked by BitLocker so I followed Microsoft's instructions on how to find the recovery key. However, I couldn't fin any when I logined my account. What can I do now?

• Edited by Roylam1234 Sunday, December 3, 2017 9:54 AM
    Sunday, December 3, 2017 9:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Did you use BitLocker to encrypt driver before you fix the fan issue?
    There is no choice for you to save the recovery key to your Microsoft account when you use BitLocker on Windows 7.
    Adding or removing hardware causes BitLocker to start into recovery mode. If you can’t find the recovery key, you could not decrypt it.
    If you only save the recovery key file on your laptop, there is no method for you to find the recovery key.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 4, 2017 6:54 AM
  • You need to ask the repair man what exactly he did. He will not have added hardware but maybe he changed the bios settings or even updated the bios - both can trigger bitlocker recovery. Some bitlocker recovery scenarios will let you return to normal PIN entry by resetting the bios settings to what they were before.
    Monday, December 4, 2017 12:39 PM
  • Hi, 

Hows everything going? Please feel free to give me any update.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 1:28 AM