Highlighting AVI/video files crashes Windows Explorer (Vista, 64-bit) RRS feed

• Question

• This has been a problem I've had for a long time and today it almost ruined me.  Whenever I go into a folder that has avi (previously Divx, just uninstalled that to try to fix it) files in it and highlight one (sometimes I don't even have to, it just happens), Explorer crashes, without fail, immediately.  Somehow shortcuts to videos got put onto my desktop and caused Explorer to crash repeatedly, which made me unable to do anything, and I thought I was going to have to format it.

I've scoured the internet for fixes, and none of them thus far have worked.  I'm willing to work through them with someone though, if you can help me walk through this.  Please help.

Sunday, January 22, 2012 10:22 AM

All replies

• The following is a solution I found, but its for windows XP. Hope it helps-

A problem may occur when you open a file in Windows XP that has a corrupted video, image files, HTML pages, or MP3 file, Windows Explorer crashes.You will need to somehow access this folder so that you can delete or move the offensive file to another location. You will need to unregister 2 DLL’s to prevent the Windows from previewing the file, which is what is actually causing Windows Explorer to crash.

1. Click Start > Run and type regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll and click OK.

2. Click Start > Run and type regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll and click OK.

3. Delete or move the file that is corrupted.

4. Click Start > Run and type regsvr32 shimgvw.dll and click OK.

5. Click Start > Run and type regsvr32 shmedia.dll and click OK.

Here's the link of the original page- http://www.technipages.com/xp-windows-explorer-crashes-when-opening-folder-with-corrupted-video-files.html

Cheers!

Thursday, May 10, 2012 2:16 PM