none
Apply Screen Saver to Computers without Loopback

Question

• After merging multiple orgs together, we are restructuring AD to separate users and computers into different OUs.

I need to apply different screen saver policies to fit the role of the computer. Some users might use multiple computers which need different screen savers settings, so I can't apply a single policy to the users.

We don't want to use loopback because of the way inheritance works when it is enabled.

I don't think GP preferences would work because Computer Config uses HKU\.Default  and not HKCU which is what I believe needs to be used. Configuring the keys under User Config would necessitate enabling loopback, which is what I don't want to do. 

Is there a way to accomplish what I am trying to do? 

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:17 PM

Answers

• I think I found a solution that will fit my need. I am going to use Group Policy preferences and create different policies for the different classifications of computers. 

I am using the registry keys HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop  with Values for ScreenSaveActive, ScreenSaverTimeout and SCRNSAVE.EXE

Then I will use item level targeting for "the computer is a member of the security group" and put the different types of computers in the groups that get that policy.

I am testing in a lab and it appears to be working.

• Proposed as answer by Jay GuModerator Thursday, February 16, 2017 7:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by IT2B Thursday, February 16, 2017 2:14 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 6:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To achieve your goal, I suggest you try to write a script, which specify a screen saver. And creating a schedule task with logon on the computer.

Here is an article below about PowerShell control Screen Saver for your reference.

https://powershellreflections.wordpress.com/2011/08/02/control-your-screensaver-with-powershell/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

In addition, If there are any problem about PowerShell, you could post your problem on the PowerShell forum below.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?forum=winserverpowershell

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 2:08 PM
  • I think I found a solution that will fit my need. I am going to use Group Policy preferences and create different policies for the different classifications of computers. 

I am using the registry keys HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel\Desktop  with Values for ScreenSaveActive, ScreenSaverTimeout and SCRNSAVE.EXE

Then I will use item level targeting for "the computer is a member of the security group" and put the different types of computers in the groups that get that policy.

I am testing in a lab and it appears to be working.

• Proposed as answer by Jay GuModerator Thursday, February 16, 2017 7:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by IT2B Thursday, February 16, 2017 2:14 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2017 6:33 PM
  • Hi,

First, I am glad to hear that your problem has been resolved. and thanks for your share.

In addition, Would you mind marking your reply as answer as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters the similar issue.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 16, 2017 7:19 AM
  • > I think I found a solution that will fit my need. I am going to use Group Policy preferences and create different policies for the different classifications of computers.

:-)

Thursday, February 16, 2017 1:53 PM
  • Thanks. This validates what I am doing.

"We now have the full power of GPP Item Level Targeting at hand to select who may (or may not) receive this value.

• Filter for security group membership of the computer"

Thursday, February 16, 2017 2:15 PM