none
Trying to export then import existing VM - "encountered error during import operation"

Question

• Hello,

I'm very new to Hyper-V and have had the task of "cloning" an existing VM we have in use.  From the Hyper-V management console, I have successfully (i think) exported the VM that I want to replicate, but then receive the following unhelpful error message when walking through the 'Import Virtual Machine' wizard.. 

"Hyper-V encountered an error during import operation"

I receive this after walking through the entire wizard, selecting the VM to import (the one I exported), and selecting destinations for the new VM files.

Any help is greatly appreciated as this is a critical business and time sensitive issue for me.

Environment:

Windows 2012 R2

Exported and Imported VM all live on the same physical machine.

I have multiple VMs running on this machine and I have NOT turned off any of them during the import.  Everything is running.

K

• Edited by captkirk35 Friday, January 13, 2017 10:30 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2017 10:09 PM

All replies

• What are the options you are selecting when Importing?

There has to be more details in there.  What is in the Hyper-V specific event logs?  Did you try Compare-VM?

http://itproctology.blogspot.com/2012/08/handling-import-vm-errors-in-server.html

Also, beginning with 2012, you can copy the entire VM folder and simply import.  You now longer need to export then import.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Friday, January 13, 2017 10:44 PM
  • Not seeing anything in the Hyper-V event log around the time of my attempts to import, other something with an earlier time stamp.  (image below)

As for options during the import, I select the location where the export was placed.

Doing so finds the "App2" VM (image below)

Then I select 'Copy the virtual Machine (create a new unique ID) option

I choose a folder destination for each of the files (image below)

From the Summary page, I click the 'Finish' button and then the error immediate appears (image below)

• Edited by captkirk35 Friday, January 13, 2017 11:32 PM
    Friday, January 13, 2017 11:31 PM
  • Could be the disk space on the machine ... the size of the folder where i exported that existing VM is 49.1 GB, and on my C drive, I've only got 33.5 GB free.
    Friday, January 13, 2017 11:39 PM
  • Hi Captkirk,

>>the size of the folder where i exported that existing VM is 49.1 GB, and on my C drive, I've only got 33.5 GB free.

What is the size of the exported VM? Do you mean it is 49.1GB?

The import would fail if there are not enough disk space to store the VM.

If the disk space is enough, have you tired with other locations, not on volume C.

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, January 15, 2017 3:39 PM
  • Hi,
    Are there any updates on the issue?
    You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful.
    Best Regards,
    Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 27, 2017 2:48 AM