Windows system firewall - will it gonna be upgraded? RRS feed

• Question

• It just can't go out of my head: Will MS upgrade a XP system firewall? I mean, make it a bit newer, more advanced. At this time it's doing only half of needed work. Securing inbound but not outbound. Only help is to download 3rd party vendors products. Upgraded default firewall is nice idea - user then could only get MS Security Essentials and that's all.

PS: No, installing newer windows version isn't awesome solution.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:16 PM

Answers

• XP SP3 is the final service pack that will be released for the operating system.  There will be no more updates to the firewall functionality. Your only solution will be to upgrade to Vista or Windows 7, download a third-party software firewall, or buy a hardware appliance. This really should come as no surprise considering the age of the OS.
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:54 PM

All replies

• XP SP3 is the final service pack that will be released for the operating system.  There will be no more updates to the firewall functionality. Your only solution will be to upgrade to Vista or Windows 7, download a third-party software firewall, or buy a hardware appliance. This really should come as no surprise considering the age of the OS.
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 6:54 PM
  • Right, i just wanted to be sure.

Thanks anyway.

Saturday, February 26, 2011 8:59 PM