Excel attachment mystery... RRS feed

• Question

• So this is a weird one and I can honestly say I have no clue as to why this happening.  I have a user having an issue with sending an excel file named this: 1957UniformVoucherScrubsBeyond.xlsx.  At first the user was adding a period between words which was causing Excel to not recognize the file extension.  But what was really strange is if the user resent the email with the attachment the recipient would be able to open the file on the second attempt.  I had the user remove the periods and that had fixed the issue until now.  Now after the periods were removed the user is having the same issue of sending the email with attachment and the recipient is not able to open the email unless the user re-sends it and opens it on the second attempt.  I know this is not normal but what on earth can I do to fix this.  The Office suite is Office 2016.

Thank you very much for the assist.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>At first the user was adding a period between words which was causing Excel to not recognize the file extension.

What do you mean by "adding a period"? 1957?

Does this issue only happen to some specific Excel files? UniformVoucherScrubsBeyond.xlsx? What's the extensions? .xls, .xlsx, .xlsm?

Is there any error messages? If yes, would you mind pasting here so that we can do further research on it?

Besides, if recipients download these files to local folder, will they open them from Excel 2016?

Currently, I cannot reproduce this issue in my Office 2016 1801(Build 9001.2171). Please first try creating a new profile to see if same issue occur. To do this, please refer to the details in this article.

If issue persists, we can also try opening Outlook in safe mode to check the result. Please exit Outlook, press Win key + R to open the Run command, type outlook.exe /safe and then press Enter. This helps eliminate whether the problem lies on any third party add-ins.

Any updates, please post back at ease.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Thursday, March 1, 2018 8:57 AM
    Monday, February 26, 2018 8:09 AM
  • Hi,

How is everything going on with this issue?

By the way, it's recommended to mark useful reply as the answer so that it will benefit other community members who may encounter a similar issue.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Wednesday, February 28, 2018 6:09 AM
    Wednesday, February 28, 2018 6:09 AM