Report listing if machine needs to be reboot RRS feed

• Question

• I do not have accessed to the WSUS report of our company, I troubleshoot machines which reflect either Security update patch was not installed or a misconfiguration setting is being detected. In some cases I had found after a while that the patch was implemented but the machine have not being reboot to complete the update.  Can the WSUS report include if machine needs to be reboot? or I will have to either use MBSA or create a script to check in registry of machine if it needs to be reboot. This take an extra effort.

michael john ocasio

• Edited by mjocasio23 Wednesday, October 8, 2014 5:22 PM
    Wednesday, October 8, 2014 3:17 PM

All replies

• By reading WSUS report documentation I noticed the report status shows information about the Approval, deadline, products, revised updates and expired updates and others status or components but it does not LOG any information about the computer target from the group it belongs too. In the workstation end there is  an alert notification created by the Windows Client WHICH can be auto this process or remind users to reboot during a period of time. I guess this method will not be practical in the servers end but there should be a way to create and report before the expiration date of the cycle update is complete. Right now I use MBSA to check if server needs to be reboot. It takes time to remotely connect to the machine and the other approach will be to create a script which check certain areas of the registry according to the OS of the machine and return the status of rebooting or not.

michael john ocasio

Wednesday, October 8, 2014 6:10 PM
  • I do not have accessed to the WSUS report of our company

Can the WSUS report include if machine needs to be reboot?

You mean in the WSUS report you do not have access to?

The fact that a machine needs to be rebooted is trivial to determine. Look in the taskbar of the machine for the WindowsUpdate icon, and note the status reported. If the machine needs a reboot, the status icon will so indicate. If it does not, there likely is no status icon.

This is no different than how the Windows OS has behaved for the past 15 years.

Basic Windows Update 101 principles still apply.

Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCSA, MCITP:EA, MCDBA
    SolarWinds Head Geek
    Microsoft MVP - Software Packaging, Deployment & Servicing (2005-2014)
    My MVP Profile: http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/mvp/Lawrence%20R%20Garvin-32101
    http://www.solarwinds.com/gotmicrosoft
    The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of SolarWinds.

Thursday, October 9, 2014 3:45 AM
  • it applies to a server machine too? there is also a Windows Update Icon that will show if it needs a reboot....

We do not auto or schedule our reboot for our servers..... I do know now neither as a component or status WSUS does not provide this information.

michael john ocasio

Thursday, October 9, 2014 7:42 PM