Recent apps not showing up in Start Menu and also can't pin anything to start menu RRS feed

• Question

• I installed TP3 with the desktop experience and the start menu is totally bare and I can't pin anything to it. Search functionality still works but that's about it.
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 10:39 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Pinning items to the Start menu is a known issue and noted in the Windows Server Technical Preview 3 Release notes.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn765470.aspx

This is a known issue in the Windows Shell section.

Windows Shell

A number of tasks related to the Windows Shell are not working normally in this release. Some areas known to be affected include (but are not limited to) pinning items to the Start menu, searching from the Start menu, Taskbar icons, System Tray icons, and some Settings pages.

In all known Shell-related issues, you can accomplish the same tasks by other means, such as using Control Panel, the command prompt, or Microsoft Management Console.

Regards,

Steven Graves

Windows Beta Support Team

Friday, September 11, 2015 9:43 PM

All replies

• Hi mbiver,

Thanks for your post.

In my test, it could pin programs in the server 2016. Could you please create another administrator account and  log on to check if it works?

And please also do sever update and firmware update then restart to have a check.

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 11, 2015 7:30 AM
  • Thanks for checking, Mary.  I've created a new user, done a clean install, also install it into a clean Generation 2 Hyper-v VM and am still not able to pin anything to the start menu.  I can pin to the taskbar, but that's it. 
    Friday, September 11, 2015 2:49 PM
  • Found that if I go to the file location of the app, I can hold down the shift button while I right click it and then I get the option to "Pin to Start list". the app will show up in the start list on the left, but still cannot use "pin to start" and have it show up on the right hand side of the start menu.
    Friday, September 11, 2015 4:57 PM
  • Hello,

Pinning items to the Start menu is a known issue and noted in the Windows Server Technical Preview 3 Release notes.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn765470.aspx

This is a known issue in the Windows Shell section.

Windows Shell

A number of tasks related to the Windows Shell are not working normally in this release. Some areas known to be affected include (but are not limited to) pinning items to the Start menu, searching from the Start menu, Taskbar icons, System Tray icons, and some Settings pages.

In all known Shell-related issues, you can accomplish the same tasks by other means, such as using Control Panel, the command prompt, or Microsoft Management Console.

Regards,

Steven Graves

Windows Beta Support Team

Friday, September 11, 2015 9:43 PM
  • Thanks Steven! I'll check the release notes for a couple other things I'm seeing too.
    Friday, September 11, 2015 10:09 PM