Best CPU to run a Website on that relies heavily on database activity? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to upgrade my CPU so that I have a computer that is comfortably capable of handling a Website that relies heavily on SQL Server database activities. Lots of CRUD activities I guess you could say. So I've been looking at CPUs and there are so many different ones available now Im not sure which is the best. I would like to understand how multiple cores address multiple requests on a web server.

Right now I have a Pentium Dual-Core Wolfdale E6300 @ 2.8GHz. At what number of user activity per hour would I need to consider going from a dual-core to a quad-core or even a six-core CPU? Is there a good formula. Something along the lines of:

Dual-Core good for 5,000 requests per/hour

Quad-Core needed for 5,000-25,000 requests/hour

I just have no idea where I stand right now with a Pentium Dual-Core E6300. Is it a no brainer just to buy a six-core if its going to be used exclusively for a web server? I would like to purchase a six-core if it will always produce the best results but I hate to upgrade too fast unnecessarily. If a dual-core is good for say, up to 10,000 requests per hour, then I could safely upgrade further down the road as my website grows. Looking for some good knowledgeable input from those with more experience on this matter. Thanks.

P.S. Im also curious whether or not a CPU classified as a "server" CPU matters all that much. For instance, I've noticed that AMD sells hex-core CPUs that aren't classified as server CPUs but Im assuming that this would be an adequate CPU to run a web server on even though it isn't specifically sold or marketed as a "server" CPU. Is this a correct assumption?

System configuration: Windows 7 RTM, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L motherboard, Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6300 Wolfdale @ 2.8GHz, 4GB PC-1066 DDR2 Patriot Viper Memory, 500 GB Western Digital Hard Disk, "GeForce 8800GT" videocard
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:39 AM

Answers

All replies

• Here is the lost of CPUs which can be installed on your Gigabyte motherbaord:

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3285

Look for a Core™ 2 Quad with a high L3 Cache and a high CPU clock.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:20 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. However, I do wanna make the point that I am not against upgrading my motherboard also. What I want to know is how to make this type of decision without talking about specific CPUs and motherboards. But more about what generic features to look for when looking for a good motherboard and CPU combination to run a web server on.

I guess your last statement could be generalized somewhat. Im also not again purchasing an AMD CPU. I have been reading really positive feedback on their Phenom II X4 CPUs.

Im still curious about how multi-core CPUs would handle multiple users on a web server. Do logged-in users get spread-out over multiple cores evenly or do they get spread-out at certain intervals. Does each user on a website get handled in his own thread space?

Just to give a more concreate example of what Im asking. Let's say 4 users are logged into my website and I have a quad-core CPU. Does the web server(IIS 7.0 for me) give each user his own thread from the very beginning. Or would the web server fill up a-core first, so to speak before pushing logged in users to other threads. In other words, as in my original post, would it work something like this:

Handle all users, from 0-5000, using 1-core

Handle all users from 5000-10000 using 2-cores (5000 users per core)

and so on.

Or would it divide their logged-in user threads evenly between all 4 cores as they are being logged-in? The only reason I ask this question is because if the web server handles all logged-in users on a single core until each core is maxed then I probably won't need a quad-core CPU unless my website grows substantially. However, if the web server spreads lets say 100 users evenly by 4 cores from the beginning(25 users per core) then I might want to get a quad-core CPU right away.

And lastly, how many logged-in users can a dual-core web server handle versus a quad-core web server? What does it most depend on?

Is it CPU clock and L3 cache alone? If thats simple, great. That would make it easy for me to figure out on my own. But are there are other factors in a CPU that I might consider?

System configuration: Windows 7 RTM, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3L motherboard, Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6300 Wolfdale @ 2.8GHz, 4GB PC-1066 DDR2 Patriot Viper Memory, 500 GB Western Digital Hard Disk, "GeForce 8800GT" videocard
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 2:39 PM
  • Which SQL software do you use? If you want to use the Microsoft SQL Server, ask here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/sqlserver

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:07 AM
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 3:48 PM
  • Sql Server Developer
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:06 PM
  • ok, ask in the forum, I gave you, which hardware is recommend. I don't use the SQL Server.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 4:16 PM