Server 2012 Standard Evalutaiton version upgraded to ServerStandard, now SCSM is not working. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone, I apologize if this is a bit long or confusing. Here goes:

This is SCSM 2016.

I have 3 servers, SCSM01, SCSM02, and SCSM03. 01 is where the back end of the SCSM server is actually managed, 02 is for the front end, and 03 is the data warehouse. All 3 of these servers had Server Standard Eval installed, which I recently upgraded to standard and installed the key. So no problem. However, the licenses did expire before I upgraded, so SCSM stopped working (I am assuming that is why we were not able to connect, anyway). I have since upgraded all 3 servers to standard and made sure it is activated (as in under service manager, under product ID, it is listed as activated under all 3 servers).

Now, when I try to open the console from my user account on my laptop or try to open the console from the server using my admin account, I get the same error. From the entire error, I think this is the important line: "Fault Detail is equal to System.UnauthorizedAccessException: You have exceeded the evaluation period of this product. For information on purchasing the retail version of this product, go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=15184"

And here is the entire error:

Date: 9/17/2019 9:53:19 AM
    Application: Service Manager Console
    Application Version: 7.5.7487.0
    Severity: Error

Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.UnknownServiceException: The service threw an unknown exception. See inner exception for details. ---> System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[System.UnauthorizedAccessException]: The creator of this fault did not specify a Reason.

Server stack trace: 
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime operation, ProxyRpc& rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.IDispatcherService.Connect(SdkClientConnectionOptions connectionOptions)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.SdkDataLayerProxyCore.Initialize(EnterpriseManagementConnectionSettings connectionSettings, SdkChannelObject`1 channelObjectDispatcherService)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.SdkDataLayerProxyCore.CreateEndpoint[T](EnterpriseManagementConnectionSettings connectionSettings, SdkChannelObject`1 channelObjectDispatcherService)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.ExceptionHandlers.HandleChannelExceptions(Exception ex)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.SdkDataLayerProxyCore.CreateEndpoint[T](EnterpriseManagementConnectionSettings connectionSettings, SdkChannelObject`1 channelObjectDispatcherService)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.SdkDataLayerProxyCore.ConstructEnterpriseManagementGroupInternal[T,P](EnterpriseManagementConnectionSettings connectionSettings, ClientDataAccessCore clientCallback)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.SdkDataLayerProxyCore.RetrieveEnterpriseManagementGroupInternal[T,P](EnterpriseManagementConnectionSettings connectionSettings, ClientDataAccessCore callbackDispatcherService)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.Internal.SdkDataLayerProxyCore.Connect[T,P](EnterpriseManagementConnectionSettings connectionSettings, ClientDataAccessCore callbackDispatcherService)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManagementGroup.InternalInitialize(EnterpriseManagementConnectionSettings connectionSettings, EnterpriseManagementGroupInternal internals)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.SdkDataAccess.ManagementGroupSessionManager.Connect(String server)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.UI.Console.Credentials.ManagementGroupConnection.TryConnectToManagementGroupJob(Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)
    System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[System.UnauthorizedAccessException]: The creator of this fault did not specify a Reason. (Fault Detail is equal to System.UnauthorizedAccessException: You have exceeded the evaluation period of this product. For information on purchasing the retail version of this product, go to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=151842.
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceDataLayer.SessionManagerService.CheckLicence()
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceDataLayer.SessionManagerService.Connect(SdkClientConnectionOptions options)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceDataLayer.BasicDispatcherService.Connect(SdkClientConnectionOptions connectionOptions)).

I have no reason to believe that SCSM was installed as a trial version as we have been sitting on the license for it for quite some time (thanks Tech Soup!). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• Edited by Mitchell Dy Tuesday, September 17, 2019 1:17 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 1:16 PM

Answers

• Easiest and as far es I know the only supported way is to contact the Microsoft Support to convert the SCSM trial version in a full version.

Andreas Baumgarten

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 6:29 AM

All replies

• The 3 SCSM Services are running on all servers?

SQL Server service is running?

What happens if you try to connect to the second SCSM management server with the console? 

Andreas Baumgarten

Tuesday, September 17, 2019 4:55 PM
  • Nothing happens. I'm now pretty sure that SCSM was installed using the evaluation version - is there a way to continue to save all of my work that I've done and install the full version over top of the eval version that won't open?
    • Edited by Mitchell Dy Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:05 PM
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 6:04 PM
  • Easiest and as far es I know the only supported way is to contact the Microsoft Support to convert the SCSM trial version in a full version.

Andreas Baumgarten

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 6:29 AM
  • Yes, I've now got it up and working again by doing so. Thank you.
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 5:08 PM