How can I find from a single query that a user has which permission on a specific table RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

How can I find from a single query that a user  has which permission on a specific table. I have a Table named "Property_Address" and a User "ABC" doing update on this table. How can I revoke permissions on this table from this user and how can I find which permissions this user have on Property_Address Table.

Any help would be appreciate.

Thursday, April 7, 2011 4:38 AM

Answers

• There is simple function can do this:

Execute as User = 'ABC'

Select *
    From fn_my_permissions('dbo.Property_Address','object')

revert

Thursday, April 7, 2011 9:26 AM
  • Steven's query will confirm the permission. And HelloZishan's query might return a role name that you know 'ABC' is a member of. But 'ABC' could be getting permission because they are a member of a fixed database role like db_datareader. Since db_datareader doesn't have an explicit grant, you won't see it. User 'ABC' might also get permissions because the 'ABC' login is a member of a Windows AD group that you don't even know about.

But regardless of how the permission originates, to stop it, consider executing:

DENY UPDATE ON OBJECT::dbo.Property_address TO ABC;

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 4:22 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I used to following script to find out the database permissions for all users:

use

TrainingProclaim

GO

SELECT

state_desc

+ ' ' + permission_name +

' on ['

+ SYS.SCHEMAS.name + '].[' + SYS.OBJECTS.name +

']

to ['

+ SYS.DATABASE_PRINCIPALS.name +

']'

COLLATE

LATIN1_General_CI_AS as [Permissions T-SQL]

FROM

SYS.DATABASE_PERMISSIONS JOIN

sys.objects

ON

SYS.DATABASE_PERMISSIONS.major_id = sys.objects.

OBJECT_ID

JOIN

SYS.SCHEMAS

ON

SYS.OBJECTS.SCHEMA_ID = SYS.SCHEMAS.

SCHEMA_ID

JOIN

SYS.DATABASE_PRINCIPALS

ON

SYS.DATABASE_PERMISSIONS.grantee_principal_id = SYS.DATABASE_PRINCIPALS.principal_id

order

by [Permissions T-SQL]

GO

Regards,

Thursday, April 7, 2011 5:15 AM
  • There is simple function can do this:

Execute as User = 'ABC'

Select *
    From fn_my_permissions('dbo.Property_Address','object')

revert

Thursday, April 7, 2011 9:26 AM
  • Steven's query will confirm the permission. And HelloZishan's query might return a role name that you know 'ABC' is a member of. But 'ABC' could be getting permission because they are a member of a fixed database role like db_datareader. Since db_datareader doesn't have an explicit grant, you won't see it. User 'ABC' might also get permissions because the 'ABC' login is a member of a Windows AD group that you don't even know about.

But regardless of how the permission originates, to stop it, consider executing:

DENY UPDATE ON OBJECT::dbo.Property_address TO ABC;

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 4:22 PM
    Answerer