Windows 7 will not install. Error after 1% of copying files. RRS feed

• Question

• When trying to install windows 7 clean or upgrade (from vista business or Ultimate) on a Toshiba Sat pro or Dell optiplex I get the error:

Windows cannot copy files required for installation. The files may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code 0x80070241.

Tried re-downloading and various sata drivers to load during install without success.  What am I missing?  Is there a generic Sata driver or is it the DVD drive driver lettingme down?

Thanks,

Garry.

Sunday, January 25, 2009 10:29 PM

Answers

• BaltoPrice said:

When trying to install windows 7 clean or upgrade (from vista business or Ultimate) on a Toshiba Sat pro or Dell optiplex I get the error:

Windows cannot copy files required for installation. The files may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code 0x80070241.

Tried re-downloading and various sata drivers to load during install without success.  What am I missing?  Is there a generic Sata driver or is it the DVD drive driver lettingme down?

Thanks,

Garry.

There have been issues using SATA-connected DVD drives. If you can connect an IDE drive (not likely on a notebook), or a USB-based device, you may have better results.
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Wednesday, February 11, 2009 7:12 AM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 11:55 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I had the same when I tried installing the 64-bits version, but I downloaded the 32-bits driver version and that one installed fine. Other people have reported similar issues, but fixed it by burning the installation DVD again (preferably at the lowest possible burn speed).
    Sunday, January 25, 2009 10:58 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response.  I have tried down loading again and re buring DVD, again with the same error.  I am using the 32 bit file but without success still.

I have now burnt 5 DVDs at varying speeds but all with the same result.  Pelase help.

Monday, January 26, 2009 1:55 PM
  • Same here.  Happens with both the 32 & 64-bit versions.  I have re-d/l'd multiple times, reburned at 1x speed multiple times (Nero burn image), and tried three different DVD drives (both SATA & IDE).

Gives 0x80070570 every time.

Monday, January 26, 2009 4:49 PM
  •  Try downloading freebie called IMGBURN.   I used it with good luck.  BE SURE AND DO THESE TWO

THINGS.  SLOW DOWN WRITE BURN SPEED AND VERIFY THAT YOU HAVE A GOOD BURN.  If still fails,

you may want to try different media and DVD BURNER HARDWARE.

Monday, January 26, 2009 5:02 PM
  • People have also reported that letting Windows 7 create its own partition (instead of preparing one yourself) gave better results. Delete the partition you reserved for Windows 7 and run the installer again. Choose the unpartitioned space to install and it should pick it up automatically from there.
    Monday, January 26, 2009 5:05 PM
  •  I get the same error. I installed it from on another PC with the same DVD without problem. The PC that I had no problems on was a HP EVO with 512 Ram and a 250 GB HDD. The failed PC is an ECS NFORCE 4M - 4 V3.0

Ken P
    Monday, January 26, 2009 11:19 PM
  • I get this error after 99%. Have burnt 2 disks on different writers. error code 0x80070570

I think maybe I'll d/l windows 7 again.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 7:20 PM
  • Thanks again for replies and assistance.  I have tried IMGBURN, all burn speeds, re down-loaded Windows 7 32 bit, still exactly the same issue.  Tried burning on another PC, still no change.  Is there anything else I can try?  PLEASE PLEASE help.

Garry.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:57 AM
  • try my solution here

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproinstall/thread/7d4abd8b-9b52-45d8-9586-67468911bfab

basically pull all your ram out with the exception of the minimum amount you can leave it, install it, then put ram back in

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 9:01 AM
  • Thanks for the help.  I have removed all except 1 stick of RAM.  This has now got me past the copying files phase, but now gives me the 0x80070570 error every time whilst expanding the files.  This does not get past 1%.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:59 AM
  • Got the same problem after 15% on a MSI Wind Atom laptop using a clean install.

Tried to copy DVD data to HDD and run install from there but problem is still remaining.

Boot from DVD did copy files but ran into next problem.

Windows cannot install required files. The files may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code 0x80070570.

After several manual restarts expanding files runs upto to 13% and repeats error. It seems like planned system restarts aren't working or buffers overflow

• Proposed as answer by Kaviaer Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:12 AM
    • Edited by Kaviaer Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:45 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Lawrence GarvinEditor Thursday, January 29, 2009 11:54 PM
    Wednesday, January 28, 2009 12:26 PM
  • Since posting my last request for help (someone PLEEEEEEEEEEEESE helpme out) I have tried twenty times to download a fresh ISO,  Each time after the download has completed, the download manager has identified that the file is corupt and should notbe used, resulting in windows not changing the temp file into one I can use.  Is this a common fault???

I really want to check the improvements stated over Vista.  I know it sounds crass, but after spending over 300 pounds on vista ultimate with disappointing results, I want to check this is improved before purchasing on release.   I dont mean vista is not good, just not the step change advertised and want re-assurance.

I beta checked vista and never had these problems, it was straight forward.

Any assistance or comments on instalation problems will be taken well and are appreciated.

Garry.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 10:19 PM
  • did you use the same machine with same network card to download the win7 beta bits? I suspect your network card is not very stable. It might corrupt your data that is being downloaded. Could you try downloading using another machine. Just a thought.

it seems to me you had the exactly same corruption problem for too many times. So I guess something is corrupting the install bits while downloading or media burning. So let's start with a fresh new stable network card.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 12:22 AM
  • BaltoPrice said:

When trying to install windows 7 clean or upgrade (from vista business or Ultimate) on a Toshiba Sat pro or Dell optiplex I get the error:

Thanks,

Garry.

There have been issues using SATA-connected DVD drives. If you can connect an IDE drive (not likely on a notebook), or a USB-based device, you may have better results.
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Wednesday, February 11, 2009 7:12 AM
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 11:55 PM
    Answerer
  • Sorry for the delay in my response.  I have tried downloading 32 bit win7 on three different PCs ( toshiba, dell and sony), all with the same result.  I have tried using IDE (via USB2 adapter) and bootable USB but with the same result.

I have however managed to install on the Toshiba the 64 bit version which went on like a charm, however now looking for drivers for hardware installed - why when I try anything is it never straight forward?  Still, it beats watching the TV!

Thanks, I will still persevere with 32 bit on Dell optiplex.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:37 AM
  • first several times, install of win7 x64 errored during uncompressing files (step 2).  subsequent errors are that some of the files being copied (step 1) were corrupt.  my guess is that both errors reflected on the space available on the boot drive.  after clearing space on the boot drive, second error began occuing.

so either, previous installs resulted in incomplete file copies, or x64 iso image is corrupt.

hopefully windows will add "clean up after unsuccessful install".  i'd hate to think the install failed due to a bad cd-rom drive.

--
    fb
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 9:43 AM
  • I'm another user who has been suffering this error. I get the same problem regardless of whether I boot from the DVD or install through my existing copy of Windows. I have tried countless things, including:
    • Downloading and burning the DVD again at different speeds, ensuring that the CRC of the disc matches up with that of the download. 
    • Tried different editions of Windows 7 (and a couple of Vista ones as well)
    • Tried both SATA and IDE DVD drives
    • Tried different RAM configurations (most importantly just a single small stick)
    • I even tried removing the graphics card and using onboard graphics, as suggested in an article I found elsewhere.
    My original plan was to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 in place of Vista, and replace my CPU at the same time. Curiously enough, despite motherboard compatibility, this problem only occurs with the new CPU in. The old was a P4 @ 3.20Ghz, the new one is a Core 2 Q8200 @ 2.33GHz. Can anybody actually solve this problem?
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 1:00 PM
  • Same thing.  Same exact problem as everyone here, x64 will not load, however, x86 version will load, but will crash all the time (open paint, open notepad, open IE8, open a DVD burning program, it will freeze and you WILL have to reset the machine, however, if you can boot up x86 version quick enough and load Modern Warfare 2 in less than 5 minutes, you can play all day long, the second you exit the game it will crash once windows tries to take over again).  Doesn't matter what machine, what network, or what OS i download the ISO's with and what speed I burn them at.  I even tried downloading it to the newest copy of FC11 and using the burn software with LINUX to make me a bootable CD from ISO at the most unbelievably slow speed you can imagine (took 2 hours to burn x64 Ultimate).  I have tried everything, and the only thing that I can possibly think of is that Microsoft is FAILING here(this could be considered my thesis statement).  Just to be sure I wasn't going crazy and there wasn't some sort of hardware misconfiguration, I have successfully installed a hacked version of OSX(BSD linux based)(allows me to install on non-mac hardware), Fedora Core 11(red hat based), Ubuntu and K+Ubuntu(debian linux based), and an old copy of XP pro that I had laying around for troubleshooting purposes.  All of these OS' installed just fine(this supports my thesis statement, I succesfully installed 4 seperate OS's and had 0 problems) from bootable cd's that I burned from the same hardware that I'm trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate x64.  (meaning i created the other OS cd's from the same machine i made the windows 7 x64 CD.)  My specs are as follows:
    Mobo - MSI AMD 770-c45 AM3 DDR3 1666+/1333/1066
    Chipset - AMD Phenom ii x4 955 3.2ghz
    RAM - 4096MB (2, 2 gig dimms) DDR3
    Vid Card - EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 275 1.7 gig PCI-E
    Monitor - ASUS VH242H 24" LCD (1080p)
    Power Sup- Apevia 800 Watt
    Anything else weird about sys - I have some of the power going to an LCD screen on the front with temperature (should use less than 10 watts)
    As you can clearly see, I've spent quite a lot of money on this new rig, with expectations that are not being met by microsofts new great product.  Which doesn't surprise me at all.

Things I have tried - Tried removing RAM down to only 2 gigs, tried removing temperature gauge.  Tried removing all USB drives and using PS/2 mouse and keyboard.  Tried formatting a USB pen (8 gigs) and using that to boot with (have done this with linux many many times previously.  This failed with same error as installing from DVD).  I've tried plugging an old IDE DVD drive in and uninstalling my SATA DVD drive, this failed as well, same error.

Interesting facts - when windows 7 x86 ultimate is installed (and if it doesn't crash) graphics and sound are amazing, I can run any game right now turned all the way up with 0 problems with lag and crappy graphics.  However IT WILL CRASH for no reason and give no error in event viewer.  Other than just locking up and having to be reset.

With Fedora Core installed and the appropriate drivers installed (yum -y install $x) I can run quake IV and other id software games with everything turned up all the way, and KDE or GNOME will NOT crash(yes, i've tried both to validate hardware).  Compiz installed fine and I had a 3d cubed desktop complete with rain effects, etc... in less than an hour after initial install.

I've been chasing this particular problem ever since I decided to sign up for technet and try the new windows 7 OS' out.  And I must say that I'm starting to get the feeling that I wasted my money and that Microsoft is wasting everyone elses money.

-- meshuggahfan -- Linux +, Redhat certified, bach Comp Sci, assoc Electronic Engineering.

• Proposed as answer by raybdavisjr Sunday, January 31, 2010 5:23 PM
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 9:23 PM
  • My answer to the failure of Windows 7 or Vista to install because of a "corrupt" file error was solved by connecting a new DVD to my ide cable and running installation.

Here is the long story; I have an Intel DD101GCC motherboard I purchased on ebay (it works great, Pentium D, 1 GB) and I installed an old DVD/CDRW (dated 2001) and was able to install XP Pro 32bit perfectly.  But then I wanted to test Vista and Windows 7 and I tried installing from within Windows XP to upgrade to Vista Business 32bit, and tried to fresh install Vista and Windows 7 32bit and 64bit, but at every install I got the Windows cannot install "corrupt" file error when the files were being expanded. 

After much reading and putting in a new hard drive, switching cables, adjusting settings in the Bios, I tried my new lighscribe (from my external DVD drive) and the installation would do find with the external DVD until it had to reboot and then it could not reboot from external DVD, so I put the external DVD in the PC as an internal, and booted the installation disk of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, and it installed perfectly. No problems with expanding files as when I used the old 2001 DVD.

So the fix in my case was that an old DVD from 2001 cannot read the files fast enough for the install to proceed.   But a newer DVD with high read write speed can.
    Sunday, January 31, 2010 5:35 PM
  • Will microsoft resolve or has resolved this error now? i.e. issues to install windows 7 using SATA-connected DVD drives.
    Friday, July 9, 2010 4:42 PM