Email Subscription criteria to include all nested categories for Classification Category RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a email subscription to include a classification category ( or Area for Service Request).  The classification category has a top level name and sub categories.  The criteria specification options only let me pick specific categories.  Is there any way to wild card the list or use the Contains, or starts with criteria instead of Equals?  An example of my Classification Category list is, there is a category for phones  Under the phones category there is Deskphone, Voice Mail, ETC.  I would like to have my subscription trigger on the classification Phones or anything else under Phones.
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 4:56 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately yes. Notification subscriptions and workflows are actually the same thing in an MP (a Rule).

I think the only way around this would be to create your own DataSource module (with it's own schema) that accepted commands like 'Under'. I may have just found another weekend project :)

Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:13 PM

All replies

• http://blogs.msdn.com/b/scplat/archive/2010/10/24/use-under-operator-for-enum-query.aspx

I don't think the wizard supports "Under", but after you create the subscription, you can modify the MP xml directly and setup the "Under" criteria.

• Marked as answer by Misha Rudiy Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:40 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Misha Rudiy Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:59 PM
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:21 PM
  • When I attempted to import the XML that I changed the Operator value for I got this message:

The management pack import failed.
    Errors (1):
    The configuration specified for Module DS is not valid.
    : Schema validation failed.
    The 'Operator' element is invalid - The value 'Under' is invalid according to its datatype 'CriteriaCompareType' - The Enumeration constraint failed.The Enumeration constraint failed.

• Edited by Misha Rudiy Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:00 PM Update
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 5:40 PM
  • That's disappointing. The Datasource module type used for instance subscriptions has it's own schema (Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.SystemCenter.Subscription.CmdbSubscriptionDataSource.SchemaType) and doesn't accept "Under". Sorry about that :(
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:04 PM
  • Is that the same same model type that is used with subscriptions made from a workflow and not a notification?

Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:05 PM
  • Unfortunately yes. Notification subscriptions and workflows are actually the same thing in an MP (a Rule).

I think the only way around this would be to create your own DataSource module (with it's own schema) that accepted commands like 'Under'. I may have just found another weekend project :)

Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:13 PM