Language Packs Uninstall/Install & Disk Space RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to free space in my HD and I when through the uninstall process of all the additional languages I had initially installed (lpksetup) and after clicking on all the languages I wanted to uninstall the system estiamted that I would recover about 8GB. The uninstall went through fine bu I did NOT recover any space, actually the disk utilization went up by about 3GB after  windows removed all the additional languages.  Then I decided to re-install all the additional langugae just to see if the free space in the HD would increase by 3GB. Well... the free space went down one more time, now by about 6GB. So my HD has additional 9GB of data on it. I have no idea what to do or what folderm, temp file  to delete.

BTW I already tried:

Disk Clean Up

Delete all the temp files in all users in AppData\Temp

I turned off hibernation before I started all this process

I ran windows washer and delete all the temp, cookies, interenet, etc files

My laptop has always been running an AV, Spyware so this is not a Virus or Spyware. I already scanned also with Malware Bytes.

Any temp folder I should take a look to delete any additional file(s) that are temp or not needed?

Help is appreciated

Monday, August 15, 2011 12:06 AM

Answers

• Have you checked your recycle bin? it can load itself up at the oddest times.

Another thing you might check, navigate to the root of your user profile right click Appdata and check what size it is... If it is more than 2 or 3 gigs its possible your PC virtualized itself within your profile. Here's where to look:

C:\Users\"your profile name"\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\

If you find a folder called virtualized in here it is safe to delete the entire contents of it without harm to anything in your actual profile. (might also want to double check the content.ie5 folder in case those cleaner programs missed anything.).

Please remember to flag a post that helps you as "answer" so that it may help others with same problems.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, August 22, 2011 8:14 AM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 12:58 AM

All replies

• Have you checked your recycle bin? it can load itself up at the oddest times.

Another thing you might check, navigate to the root of your user profile right click Appdata and check what size it is... If it is more than 2 or 3 gigs its possible your PC virtualized itself within your profile. Here's where to look:

C:\Users\"your profile name"\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\

If you find a folder called virtualized in here it is safe to delete the entire contents of it without harm to anything in your actual profile. (might also want to double check the content.ie5 folder in case those cleaner programs missed anything.).

Please remember to flag a post that helps you as "answer" so that it may help others with same problems.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, August 22, 2011 8:14 AM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 12:58 AM
  • www.windirstat.info is your friend.  Run that against the drive and it will give you a graphical chart of what is taking up the space on your HD.  You can drill down and remove files as necessary with it.
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".

Rich Prescott | MCITP, MCTS, MCP

Blog | Twitter: @Arposh | Powershell Client System Administration tool
    Monday, August 15, 2011 1:18 AM