none
SQL/Sharepoint DB autodiscover job time RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to change what time the job runs that discovers new SQL and Sharepoint DBs to protect?
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can schedule the autoprotect script to run before the 11:00pm tape backup jobs.

Make a batch file and add the below entries, then use windows scheduler to schedule the batch file to run nightly at 9:30pm.

Powershell.exe -PSConsoleFile "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\dpmshell.psc1" -command "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\AutoProtectInstances.ps1 -dpmserver yourdpmservername

If new DB's are discovered, they will be added before the tape backup jobs start.  At midnight then the DPM scheduled auto discovery job runs nothing new will be discovered assuming nobody added any between 9:30pm and 12:00am.  This should allow your tape backup to run in-interupted.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 3:42 PM

All replies

• HI,

No - the job runs nightly at midnight.  If there is a need to add new databases before the nightly job runs, administrators can open DPM Management Shell and run AutoProtectInstances.ps1.  This will prompt for the DPM server and then add any new databases that are not protected by any protection groups that have auto protection enabled.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:38 PM
  • I know it runs at midnight, and that is the problem.  I have tape jobs that run at 11PM, and when the discover job runs it modifies that protection group which cancels the tape job.  If I have the tape jobs run later then they finish too late, so I need to change when the discover job runs.
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:42 PM
  • Hi,

You can schedule the autoprotect script to run before the 11:00pm tape backup jobs.

Make a batch file and add the below entries, then use windows scheduler to schedule the batch file to run nightly at 9:30pm.

Powershell.exe -PSConsoleFile "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\dpmshell.psc1" -command "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\AutoProtectInstances.ps1 -dpmserver yourdpmservername

If new DB's are discovered, they will be added before the tape backup jobs start.  At midnight then the DPM scheduled auto discovery job runs nothing new will be discovered assuming nobody added any between 9:30pm and 12:00am.  This should allow your tape backup to run in-interupted.

Friday, February 25, 2011 3:42 PM