none
Orchestrator Install fails at the DB Step, error 0x80131509

Question

• Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a solution to this problem - I just can't get SCO 2012 to install, it always fails at the DB Configuration Step.

This is a test environment (all W2k8 R2) with a DC, SQL and what is to be the Orchestration server - that's it.

Setup continues until there is this message in the log:

12:18:37:C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft System Center 2012\Orchestrator\Management Server\DBSetup.exe failed. Please check C:\ProgramData\Microsoft System Center 2012\Orchestrator for more detailed log.
    12:18:37:Database configuration failed: : Threw Exception.Type: System.InvalidOperationException, Exception Error Code: 0x80131509, Exception.Message: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft System Center 2012\Orchestrator\Management Server\DBSetup.exe failed. Please check C:\ProgramData\Microsoft System Center 2012\Orchestrator for more detailed log.
    12:18:37:StackTrace:   at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.Installer.Setup.SetupHelper.CallExe(String productCode, String componentCode, Func`2 generateArgs)
       at Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.Installer.Setup.DbConfigInstallAction.Execute()
    12:18:37:Getting log file path C:\Users\Administrator.DOMAIN\AppData\Local\Microsoft System Center 2012\Orchestrator\Logs\Not Used
    12:18:37:Getting log file path C:\Users\Administrator.DOMAIN\AppData\Local\Microsoft System Center 2012\Orchestrator\Logs\SetupWizard.log
    12:18:37:SetProgressScreen: FinishMinorStep.
    12:18:37:Install failed for DBCONFIG
    12:18:37:Installation result overall: Failed
    12:18:37:    Component: MANAGEMENTSERVER - True
    12:18:37:    Component: RUNBOOKSERVER - True
    12:18:37:    Component: RUNBOOKDESIGNER - True
    12:18:37:    Component: WEBCOMPONENTS - True
    12:18:37:    Component: DBCONFIG - False

Looking at the DBSetup log file it reports:

Process ID: 1896
    Version   : 7.0.1154.0
    Computer  : WIN-OIGA9JUVIFH
    User      : DOMAIN\Administrator

2012-04-11 12:18:34 [2252] 1 Cannot execute command: "CREATE PROCEDURE [Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.Internal].[UpdateRunbookOutputParameters]
    @RunbookId uniqueidentifier,
    @OutputParametersXml nvarchar(max)
    AS

SET NOCOUNT ON

DECLARE @trancount int
    SET @trancount = @@trancount

BEGIN TRY
    IF @trancount = 0
    BEGIN TRANSACTION
    ELSE
    SAVE TRANSACTION UpdateRbkOutParamTran

DECLARE @handle int
    EXEC sp_xml_preparedocument @handle OUTPUT, @OutputParametersXml

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb.dbo.#sourceTable') IS NOT NULL
    DROP TABLE dbo.#sourceTable

SELECT CAST(0 AS BIT) As [Deleted], @RunbookId AS [RunbookId], [Code], [Name], [Type], [Description]  INTO #sourceTable
    FROM OPENXML (@handle, '/Data/Entry', 2) 
    WITH ([Code] NVARCHAR(200) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS, 
     [Name] NVARCHAR(200) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS,
     [Type] NVARCHAR(200) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS,
     [Description] NVARCHAR(200) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS) 

MERGE [Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.Internal].[RunbookOutputParameters] rop 
    USING dbo.#sourceTable st ON (st.[Code] = rop.[Code] AND 
     st.[Deleted]  = rop.[Deleted] AND 
     st.[RunbookId] = rop.[RunbookId]) 
    WHEN MATCHED AND rop.[RunbookId] = @RunbookId AND rop.[Deleted] = 0 THEN
    UPDATE SET rop.[Name] = st.[Name],
      rop.[Type] = st.[Type],
      rop.[Description] = st.[Description]  
    WHEN NOT MATCHED BY TARGET THEN 
    INSERT ([RunbookId], [Code], [Name], [Type], [Description]) 
    VALUES (@RunbookId, st.[Code], st.[Name], st.[Type], st.[Description]) 
    WHEN NOT MATCHED BY SOURCE AND rop.[RunbookId] = @RunbookId THEN 
    UPDATE SET [Deleted] = 1;

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb.dbo.#sourceTable') IS NOT NULL
    DROP TABLE dbo.#sourceTable

EXEC sp_xml_removedocument @handle
    IF @trancount = 0
    COMMIT TRANSACTION;
    END TRY

BEGIN CATCH
    DECLARE @xstate int;
    SELECT @xstate = XACT_STATE();
    IF @trancount = 0
    ROLLBACK;
    IF @xstate > 0 AND @trancount > 0
    ROLLBACK TRANSACTION UpdateRbkOutParamTran

EXEC [Microsoft.SystemCenter.Orchestrator.Internal].[RethrowError]
    END CATCH"

I'm at a loss as to how to progress. Originally the server was installed with UK English as default but I've changed both the user and system locale to United States (and rebooted)

Can anyone offer any suggestions ?

Thanks

Alex

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:26 AM

Answers

• Hi ,

About requirements there is no information to use SQL 2005. As far as I know that it should be SQL 2008.

Software

The following software is required for a full installation of Orchestrator on a single computer:

• Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 – Orchestrator requires only the basic SQL Server features found in the Database Engine Service. No additional features are required. Orchestrator supports SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS for collation.  The installation wizard uses SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS as the default collation to create the orchestration database.
      noteNote
      Management servers and runbook servers installed on the same computer must use the same database. The management server must run as a 32-bit application.
    • Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) – Orchestrator Setup enables IIS if it is not enabled.
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 - Orchestrator Setup installs and enables .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 if it is not installed and enabled.
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 4

We recommend the following software for a full installation of Orchestrator on a single computer:

Join the computer to an Active Directory domain.

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language)

• Proposed as answer by Stefan Horz Monday, April 16, 2012 7:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex CE French Tuesday, May 01, 2012 12:14 PM
    Sunday, April 15, 2012 8:57 AM

All replies

• Are you installing ORCH and SQL on the same server?
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:23 PM
  • Hi Trail2012,

No they are separate servers. The DB gets created OK (Orch service account is a sysadmin), lots of tables, etc but it fails on this step.

Thanks

Alex

Thursday, April 12, 2012 7:18 AM
  • This might be a little out there but check the Compatibility Level of the Model database.  Maybe the database is getting created with an older compatibility level that can't handle the Merge statement or the Try/Catch syntax. 
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:02 PM
  • Hi Malekai101,

Thanks for the suggestion - the Compatibility level is SQL Server 2005 (90) which I think is OK...

thanks

Alex

Friday, April 13, 2012 2:47 PM
  • Are you sure?  There isn't a reference to the Merge T-SQL statement for SQL 2005.  It looks like it first shows up in 2008.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb510625.aspx

Christian Smith

Friday, April 13, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Hi ,

About requirements there is no information to use SQL 2005. As far as I know that it should be SQL 2008.

Software

The following software is required for a full installation of Orchestrator on a single computer:

• Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 – Orchestrator requires only the basic SQL Server features found in the Database Engine Service. No additional features are required. Orchestrator supports SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS for collation.  The installation wizard uses SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS as the default collation to create the orchestration database.
      noteNote
      Management servers and runbook servers installed on the same computer must use the same database. The management server must run as a 32-bit application.
    • Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) – Orchestrator Setup enables IIS if it is not enabled.
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 - Orchestrator Setup installs and enables .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 if it is not installed and enabled.
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 4

We recommend the following software for a full installation of Orchestrator on a single computer:

Join the computer to an Active Directory domain.

If the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. www.scvmm2012.com (TR Language)

• Proposed as answer by Stefan Horz Monday, April 16, 2012 7:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alex CE French Tuesday, May 01, 2012 12:14 PM
    Sunday, April 15, 2012 8:57 AM
  • All,

thanks

That will teach me to piggy-back on an existing test SQL server !!! I'll install SQL 2008R2 and install it.

Thanks again for all your help.

Alex

Friday, April 20, 2012 2:41 PM
  • Hi Murat,

That has worked  !!!!

SQL 2k8R2 installed and Orch went straight on.

Thanks for your assistance

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 12:14 PM
  • Hi..

Create new Database manually and map created database while installation of SCORCH...

I have faced same issue, i have done troubleshooting 7 days on this issue finally above solution is worked for me...

Saturday, March 18, 2017 5:52 AM