Problem with MDT Deployment using a Second HD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I’m having problems when I try to use a second internal HD as the Media Deployment Share, in which the task sequence sees the second HD as a bootable system partition.

Scenario:

• MDT 2012 U1
    • Both new computer and refresh (XP to Windows 7)
    • The “Install Operation System” task is working, but the message “BOOTMGR is missing” appears when the computer boots after installing the OS to continue the Task Sequence. This boot is made on the first/primary HD.
    • On “LTIApply.log” it shows that the process determined that the second HD should be the boot disk.
    • Then, when I booted from the second HD, the process continues but the Operation System and all the others configurations are on the first HD, and only the boot files are on the Second HD.

Can anyone help me?

We’ve already unmarked the “Create extra ‘Active’ partition” option on the “Format and Partition Disk” task, because the customer won’t use Bitlocker.

Additional information:

First HD memory:  298 GB

Second HD memory: 74.5

Thanks!

Jessica

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:31 PM

Answers

• MDT *may* have problems if you are using an external USB 3.0 Fixed Hard Disk (Rather than a USB flash Drive).

My recommendation is to use Flash Media.

Otherwise, can you post the bdd.log file to a public share like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

-k

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 12:24 AM

All replies

• Hi Jessica,

May I assume you connect a physical hard drive to the computer that needs to be installed? Why not use network deployment or even better for this scenario, create offline media, and run a deployment from USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 stick?

Here's a great tutorial on how to achieve this: MDT 2012 – Create a Deployment Media

If there is no other way then using the disk, then I think you perhaps need to have a look at UDI deployment, since that enables you to select the target disk. Or create a custom script, or wizard pane, or HTA that enables you to do the same.

hope this helps :)

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 1:51 PM
  • Hi Rens, thanks for your time!

The process in USB (as offline media) is already working correctly.

But the customer needs this process because the network link isnt so good, and another point is the size of files (more than 10GB), and they dont want by USB with more than 8GB.

About the target disk, I already put in "Install Operation System" process in the Task Sequence as "Disk=0" "Partition=1", also in CustomSettings.ini.

This should work, isnt?

The installation of SO is working, but something in LTIApply.wsf script determined that the second HD should be the boot disk. 

Thanks,

Jessica

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 2:21 PM
  • MDT *may* have problems if you are using an external USB 3.0 Fixed Hard Disk (Rather than a USB flash Drive).

My recommendation is to use Flash Media.

Otherwise, can you post the bdd.log file to a public share like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

-k

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Wednesday, January 8, 2014 12:24 AM
  • Hi Keith,

I'm working on the same customer as Jessica, and they prohibit the use of USB port.

So we need to use a second internal SATA disk or (if it's not possible with MDT above 2010 version) recommend an internal DVD reader.

Would it be possible to configure the second disk as another disk type (not primary, for instance) so that MDT won't see this disk as the boot disk?

Thanks and regards,

Thursday, January 9, 2014 9:25 PM
  • In most cases, Hard Drive 0 = c:\ and Hard Drive 1 = d:\. 
    If you are trying to deploy to the first drive then change the logic in the Install Operating System step from Specific Disk and Partition (as mentioned above) to Specific Logical Drive Letter.

_JoeG
    Dell - Systems Integration Consultant
    Twitter: @8bits1byte 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, January 9, 2014 11:01 PM
  • Keith,

I am exactly in this position (external USB 3.0 Fixed Hard drive) using the offline method for deployment.

Any thoughts on how I would be able to get this straighten out?

My insistence on using the hard drives is based on the storage capacity and speed (albeit small) of the deployment.

Let me know if you would prefer another thread to be created for this question.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:40 PM