IT Manager - new technology - clarify checklist RRS feed

• General discussion

• As sort of IT support managers or network managers in a windows environment, if your business say they require this new technology, this new information system, this new technology and here is why. As the IT manager/network manager – what sort of checklist do you need to go through to analyze how practical it will be to implement? What sort of factors do you need to get right in your mind on this new proposal from the IT side? I just wondered in terms of windows environment – if you get a dreaded email saying a new technology is required as identified by the business director – what you need to understand get in place – to fulfil your roles as IT? If so can you share what kind of issues you need to work out/clarify? Top level will do as each technology will need different techniques – but I assume the basics are the same.
    • Changed type Kevin Remde Sunday, October 30, 2011 3:57 PM Too broad to be answered by any one post
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:57 AM

All replies

• Is there a particular question your seeking answers to? Your statement is rather general and covers a bunch of possible topics.
    :P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:31 PM
  • Is there a particular question your seeking answers to? Your statement is rather general and covers a bunch of possible topics.
    :P Advice offered, If you need more help it is advised to seek the council and advice of paid professionals. The answer is always 42, or reboot.
    I kept it general as I just thought folk may add some examples...
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:13 AM
  • Well, one problem you will run into is those pesky humans, i want this, he can't have that, why should i limit my bonues so IT can have the hardware it needs.

I see companies still running stuff pre-1995 and refuse to move forward, I have been in environments where they activly pay for and encourage making sure the IT staff is up to date and cutting edge.

I also see a bunch of places that just don't seem to value the IT folks at all, and even at 1 place I was contracting at, the IT manager, instead of focusing on moving forward and completing projects, felt the need to spy and monitor all his IT staff, and made that his focus, instead of acting like a rational adult.  He went so far as tho think he was clever and smart when going though IT staff personal items and copying files off thier personal thumb drives and such.

Where I am at now, I am being encouraged and have full go to burn the old lab down and stand up new gear and servers to facilitate the adoption of new tech, this helps the company lead ahead of it's business rivals. 

I know a guy at one rival company and they focus more time and effort on policing the employees and making it a hostile work environment, then they are amazed and can't understand when thier top IT knowledge base workers leave for other companies.

Thursday, October 20, 2011 3:40 PM
  • Well cut it short.. is all about educating the users :D
    Guowen Su | CCNA, CISSP, CCIP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP, CEH, CHFI | http://www.microsoft.com/en/sg/default.aspx Our Goal? VERY SATISFIED Customers. If you're not...let's talk!!
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 3:32 AM