none
Office 2016 (MSI installer) volume license incompatible with Visio/Project 2016 from MSDN (Click to run installer) RRS feed

• Question

• We have encountered a problem were we are unable to use both Office 2016 (MSI installer) and the latest versions of Project and Visio 2016 from MSDN.

Our academic institution has a Volume License agreement for Office and the installers we are provided are MSI based. Our department has a Dreamspark subscription which allows us to install Project and Visio 2016 on computers for non-commercial research and teaching purposes from MSDN. The problem is that we are unable to install both pieces of software in lab computers because MSI installer and Click to Run installer cannot coexists on the same machine.

The Click to Run installer for Office 365 does not activate against our KMS.

I was looking for assistance on how should this situation be resolved. I can think of two solutions:

1. Should Dreamspark/MSDN make an MSI installer available for Visio/Project 2016?

2. Should MS update the Click to Run installer of Office 365/2016 to be able to use our Volume License key and activate against our KMS?

So far, our MS rep for licensing of Office 2016 said this was not their problem. Dreamspark blamed MSDN. I have yet to reach out to MSDN. This is a problem that is widespread, what is the best way to get a resolution to the issue?

Crossposted at: https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/156/t/444691
    Related issue with MAK keys failing to activate Visio and Project 2016 from MSDN: https://community.office365.com/en-us/f/156/t/440938

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 4:23 PM

All replies

• May be this article would have an answer for you. The current MAK keys is not compatible yet with this type of activation. It says there will be new MAK keys to be issued to address this situation.

https://technet.microsoft.com/library/mt703272.aspx

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 12:05 AM
  • Hi Diego,

Click-to-Run version of Office products by default use an account that associated with Office 365 licenses for the activation (online activation), it won't contect to the existing KMS server for the activation. So the second solution mentioned above is not possible I think.

For the first item, I'm not sure whether there is a MSI installer exists for your subscription, you should go ahead to reach out to MSDN for a confirmation on this.

Or maybe contact the Customer Service directly via:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 25, 2016 8:17 AM
  • Diego,

Were you able to find a resolution to this issue?  I am experiencing the same issue with Office 2016 and Visio 2016.

Thank you.

Monday, June 6, 2016 3:16 PM
  • I would like to know the solution to this also.

After buying a Visio 2016 licence I was less than impressed to discover that i could not install it with Office 365 - the very package Microsoft is pushing to be the primary offering.

Thursday, June 9, 2016 6:21 AM
  • I just got off the phone with the MSDN and Dreamspark folks about this exact issue. After explaining to them that we were using our campus' MSI install for Office 2016 and needed the same for Visio and Project 2016, I was told that the Click to Run version is the only version available to Dreamspark subscribers. If we wanted an MSI version, we would need to get it through our campus' volume licensing agreement. 
    Monday, June 13, 2016 4:54 PM
  • I was able to obtain the Volume License ISOs with MSI installers for Visio and Project 2016, however, the Lab keys from Dreamspark do not work with the MSI installer ISOs from the Volume License side. So we still have no resolution to this problem.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 12:24 PM
  • I tried the same thing at my institution.  This is pretty frustrating.  We need MSI's for Visio and Project 2016 that work with the Lab keys from DreamSpark.  There has to be a solution.  How does Microsoft expect educational institutions to handle this?  Oh... convert to Office 365 click-to-run everywhere?  Then what do we do about all the administrative staff that have Project or Visio purchased separately?  Buy it again so it's click-to-run as well?  These are not good solutions.
    Sunday, July 24, 2016 6:00 PM
  • We're having the same issue.  Microsoft needs to address this.  We're now paying for Dreamspark for nothing.
    Monday, August 8, 2016 7:05 PM
  • Hi Diego and Microsoft,

I am experiencing same issue. We cannot get MSI installer from MSDN. Raised a dozen of case with different Microsoft support but none of them provide me a solution. Microsoft support would not even read your issue and just simply reply with standard template. With months of frustration, I am still yet to get any workaround. 

Microsoft never failed to disappoint its customers. 

Thanks and best regards.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:08 AM
  • We are still having this issue.

Has Microsoft fixed it yet, or are we paying for Dreamspark for nothing?

Monday, October 31, 2016 4:23 AM
  • We are having the same exact problem at our school with MSI Volume licensing on Office and click-to-run for DreamSpark.

And, we got the same bull from MS Volume licensing saying it wasn't their problem, but hey, we could pay thousands $$$$ to install it that way. We said, we've paid for a DreamSpark (Imagine) subscription and now we can't use it because of choices you have made?

Crickets chirping...

Is there anyone at Microsoft who cares that you are doing this to your customers? And not just any customers, those of us who are trying to develop your next generation of developers/creators? Every institution of higher ed around the country that uses DreamSpark (Imagine) with Visio and Project is having this problem and it has been around for a year or more is unbelievable.

Microsoft are you listening? How are you going to make this right? Do I just have to bite the bullet and move to something like ProjectLibre? Does anyone have experience with ProjectLibre or another Project alternative?

Microsoft? Why are those crickets chirping the only response here? 

Thursday, November 3, 2016 7:00 PM
  • I too have run into this problem with no solution. MSDN and Dreamspark/Imagine had no answer to this problem when I reached out to them.
    Monday, November 7, 2016 4:31 PM
  • Dear Microsoft,

Please fix this, this is unacceptable. Why can't we have two perfectly legitimate applications of yours installed on the same computer simply because they were purchased through different channels?

I am in the very common position of having a VL for Office then a few other standalone licenses for Project and Visio that will not install with this VL version of Office.

This just boggles the mind.

Thursday, November 24, 2016 9:05 PM
  • I agree this is a joke. I can't upgrade to Office 2016 across our site due to the issues with the incompatibility with the MSDN versions of Visio/Project which are required for Computing lessons. 

What are we spending all this money with Microsoft for?

Monday, January 23, 2017 12:16 PM
  • Just adding my frustration to the growing list. Exact same scenario: educational institution with Microsoft Office 2016 VL MSI installer and an Imagine Premium subscription trying to deploy Visio and Project 2016.

The only possible workaround I see is to try to use the Office 2016 Click-to-Run (C2R) installer and enabling Shared Computer Activation: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn782860.aspx. Has anyone tried this?

There are three issues with this that make this absolutely much less than practical:

• Every student who logs on to a computer will need to activate Office 2016 - this takes extra time and will likely cause confusion.
    • It is also particularly questionable how this will work with administering Certiport MOS exams. The Certiport Console 8 exam software runs as the local Administrator account because we are not about to give 20,000 students administrator privileges to systems (of course). However, I don't know how we would activate the Office 2016 applications under that user account...
    • Even though the page referenced above indicates that the usage of Office 2016 C2R on a Shared computer does not count against the five activations each user has, it does state there is "a reasonable limit" of shared computer activations in a "given time period." Neither "reasonable" nor "given time period" are defined and knowing how many different computers students would use around campus, I suspect we would hit that limit. (Most likely during final exams...)

Can it be that hard to provide an MSI installer for Visio and Project? I don't care about updating the applications, as a matter of fact, I'd prefer if no features were added during the semester until we redeploy a new thick image.

Friday, January 27, 2017 3:43 AM
  • Same problem here from a Nonprofit. Office 2016 Pro Plus volume licensed, Project Online Pro from our Office 365 subscription. This is ridiculous.
    Wednesday, April 26, 2017 10:33 PM
  • The MSI/C2R technology collision with respect to VL Visio and Project with O365 is inexcusable.

"Prereq::ShowPrereqFailure: A Prereq check has failed. We found a problem!  We're sorry, Office Click-to-Run installer encountered a problem because you have these Windows Installer based Office programs installed on your computer:   Microsoft Visio Professional 2016  Microsoft Project Professional 2016  Click-to-Run and Windows Installer editions of Office programs don't get along for this version, so you can only have one type installed at a time. Please try installing the Windows Installer edition of Office instead, or uninstall your other Windows Installer based Office programs and try this installation again. "

"don't get along": smh. A snippet from my favorite support dot office dot com article on the topic:

"IMPORTANT: 

The MAK keys currently available on the Volume Licensing Service Center (VLSC) aren't compatible with this specific installation scenario. We're working on a solution, but we currently don’t have a date when we expect the solution to be available. KMS activation is available.

Also, this scenario isn't supported with shared computer activation. To use shared computer activation, all Office products must be subscription based."

Here are the SKUs if you wish to convert your EA VLs for Proj and Vis to Subscription at your own expense (allowing CR2 for all three: V,P and O):

Project Pro: 7E6-00002 "ProjOnlnProfAddon ShrdSvr ALNG SubsVL MVL AddOn toPrjctProf"
    Visio Pro: WU5-00001 "VisioProforOffice365CldAddOn ShrdSvr ALNG SubsVL MVL AddOn toVisioPro"
    Monday, June 12, 2017 10:35 PM
  • I too am having this issue, received a Lab Key on MSDN for Project 2016 and Visio 2016. 
    Monday, June 19, 2017 1:15 PM
  • Having same issue, any update to see if MSDN will post a MSI version of Project 2016 or Visio 2016.  I went to circles with MS support on this issue with no resolution.  Thanks

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 3:32 PM
  • I'm having the same issue. Did anyone get any solution?

Best Regards, Rahul

Friday, September 1, 2017 8:08 AM
  • Same problem here, we use volume licensing for office 2016 (msi) because as a care group with care homes we have people sharing computers, device cals are the cost effective option for us, we use 365 exchange and upgraded some users to business essentials so they could use skype for business, incompatible, we also have the issue with users and project 16 on 365 unable to install due to it being click to run.

Microsoft sort this out! 2+ years this has been going on

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 4:39 PM
  • Hi there,

I discovered a workaround while I was wondering how the C2R installer checks if there is Microsoft Office 2016 already installed on the PC. The assumption was that it just asks the "list of installed programms" in the registry (it's the one you can also see via control panel). I googled for a way to hide Office from this list and found this manual: http://woshub.com/how-to-hide-installed-programs-from-programs-and-features/

It actually works this way:

1. Go to the registry path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Office16.PROPLUS (x86 Office) or HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Office16.PROPLUS (x64 Office)
    2. Add a DWORD value called SystemComponent and set it to 1
    3. Now make sure that in the control panel (Programs and Features) Office 2016 is absent
    4. You can install Visio 2016 now with the C2R installer, after that start it and enter your serial
    5. Remove the registry value from step 2 so that the Office 2016 entry appears again

Hope this works for you

Saturday, May 12, 2018 1:05 PM
  • Hi there,

I discovered a workaround while I was wondering how the C2R installer checks if there is Microsoft Office 2016 already installed on the PC. The assumption was that it just asks the "list of installed programms" in the registry (it's the one you can also see via control panel). I googled for a way to hide Office from this list and found this manual: http://woshub.com/how-to-hide-installed-programs-from-programs-and-features/

It actually works this way:

1. Go to the registry path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Office16.PROPLUS (x86 Office) or HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Office16.PROPLUS (x64 Office)
    2. Add a DWORD value called SystemComponent and set it to 1
    3. Now make sure that in the control panel (Programs and Features) Office 2016 is absent
    4. You can install Visio 2016 now with the C2R installer, after that start it and enter your serial
    5. Remove the registry value from step 2 so that the Office 2016 entry appears again

Hope this works for you

Your solution worked - but not for very long. After a couple of tries both Microsoft Project and Microsoft Outlook failed to open It seems they must conflict with each other and corrupt, which is presumably why Microsoft don't allow it.

The solution for me would be to obtain an MSI version of Project, I have been unable to find such a thing anywhere, even though the information I've seen from Microsoft suggest that it does exist. Maybe need to try the dark web?

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 2:16 PM
  • Is it still working or did it stop like the post below?

NM

Thursday, October 11, 2018 6:37 PM
  • Is it still working or did it stop like the post below?

NM

It's still working, but I recommend to install the msi version on a diffrent path (can only change in msi) than the c2r version to avoid conflicts like in the comment below

Saturday, October 20, 2018 8:32 AM