SQL Server Monitoring Database Status RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Together,

i have a question concerning the Monitor for the Database Status. This monitor checks the database status for different conditions. Our customer wants that the state "Offline" not gets reported as critical since this status is explicit triggered by the SQL team itself. My question is now, how can i get rid off alarms when the database status is set to offline.

All other conditions should be reported, but only state "Offline" should not trigger an alert in SCOM.

Best Regards,

Udo

News from Forum

Monday, January 8, 2018 10:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please see if this helps:

Remove SCOM monitoring for "offline-d" SQL database

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!)

Monday, January 8, 2018 11:35 AM
  • Hi,

sorry. That is not working for me. I want that the monitor still is working but only "Offline" should not generate an alarm.

Best Regards,

Udo

News from Forum

Monday, January 8, 2018 1:04 PM
  • Hi,

Maybe you can create a group of such servers and disable the monitor on it.

Cheers

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!)

Monday, January 8, 2018 1:47 PM
  • There is not much monitoring you can do if the database is offline, so if this is only a temporary state you should put them in maintenance mode.

Monday, January 8, 2018 1:57 PM
  • Hi,

is there any known way how to create a dynamic group with database status "Offline"?

Regards,

Udo

News from Forum

Monday, January 8, 2018 2:09 PM
  • Hi,

>> Our customer wants that the state "Offline" not gets reported as critical since this status is explicit triggered by the SQL team itself. 

There is no option to override the Database status monitor to stop alert for "offline state" to cover your needs .

One workaround might be creating a monitor based on script which query the different status (mentioned in following article) of database except offline state :

http://mpwiki.viacode.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=100300

>>is there any known way how to create a dynamic group with database status "Offline"?

Unfortunately , there is no "offline" property under database class (and , not only "offline status" cased "critical" state ).

Hope it is useful to you .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 7:12 AM
  • I will repeat myself, but I can't see a scenario where it would be right to "not monitor offline databases" only, as a lot of other workflows will fail when a database is offline (can't login into the database, can't collect counters etc).

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 9:59 AM
  • Hi,

I think you should tell your SQL "DBA's" to use detach instead, or use maintenance mode in SCOM if they insist on settings DB's offline.

Disabling monitoring for offline DB's would also mean loosing monitoring of databases going offline due to a system error, which im sure the SQL guys would not want.

• Proposed as answer by s.kjaerhus Wednesday, January 10, 2018 11:51 AM
    Wednesday, January 10, 2018 11:51 AM